What's new

The Sammich Thread

So looking around while we have threads for so many popular food stuffs, I see a lack of thread estate dedicated to the pure and noble sandwich.

So gents, what's your favorite? Salami? Roast Beef? Ham? Something special? Something simple?

I'll start with one of my favorites I had for lunch today. A good roll, sliced boiled egg, thinly sliced onion, little mayo, lots of good mustard, and braunschweiger.

I love sammiches. Sammiches and beer (and yes, the hamburger is a sammich in my book). Drives my wife nuts, because there's only a couple places in Rochester that have both good sammiches and a good variety of beers, and I never want to eat anywhere else.

I love a good club sammich and a pale ale. Or a bacon cheeseburger with a good porter or stout. Or a BLT with a light(er) lager. Or any of a number of other combinations.

If I can't get the beer, I generally go for ham, with provolone or cheddar.

At home, I like to do egg sammiches for breakfast, with real country ham (when I can get it--a good moldy haunch is hard to come by this far north).

My wife and I are both excellent and versatile cooks, yet the lion's share of my meals come between two slices of bread.

Just goes to show that a good idea is a good idea ...

I am eternally grateful to the Earl of Sandwich and his gambling addiction.

So looking around while we have threads for so many popular food stuffs, I see a lack of thread estate dedicated to the pure and noble sandwich.

So gents, what's your favorite? Salami? Roast Beef? Ham? Something special? Something simple?

I'll start with one of my favorites I had for lunch today. A good roll, sliced boiled egg, thinly sliced onion, little mayo, lots of good mustard, and braunschweiger.

That does indeed sound like a fine sandwich.

Generally speaking, I've a strong preference for a good Reuben.

Heres a-
Real Brisket,a smoked turkey and pastrami~

full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that's a sandwich Jim!:w00t:

That does indeed sound like a fine sandwich.

Generally speaking, I've a strong preference for a good Reuben.
Reuben is a great sandwich but unfortunately so hard to find. If you are ever making them at home and feeling creative try replacing the dressing with a good flavorful mustard.

And it is indeed a fine sandwich so long as you have a good sandwich roll or rye bread, in the case of rye it gets the lightest shmear of butter as well. Between the onion braunschweiger and egg however I am on a restricted diet by order of SWMBO.

I have never been to a "real" deli. I need to find one. Anyway, as far as homemade sandwiches go, I prefer swiss cheese, deep fried turkey breast, turkey pastrami, a very little bit of roast beef, Italian salad dressing, and chipotle mayonnaise, all on some form of white bread.

My favorite homemade sandwich is either a BLT or sliced brisket. A little sandwich shop around here sells one called a "Jefferson" that is sliced turkey,sweet cranberry relish and cream cheese on sourdough.It's really lovely!!:biggrin:

When I make a sandwich, it's usually turkey.

• sourdough bread
  • fresh, shaved turkey breast, piled high
  • iceberg or romaine lettuce
  • provolone or pepperjack cheese
  • maybe a thinly sliced onion

The trick, for me, is the spread. I concoct my own with mayonnaise, mustard, and Pepper Plant Hot Sauce.

Mmm, mmm, good.

You're from the cheese capital of the north-central US and you're using plastic cheese on your sandwiches?! Forshame! Forshame!

One of my current favorite sandwiches:

Fresh baguette from the local french bakery
Pecan smoked bacon from the butcher
Duke's mayo (yes, homemade is better) Butter can be subbed if you'd like
A nice lettuce (romaine is good but most any green will do)
Nice tomatoes
Fried brown eggs from the inlaw's coop
Onions or cornichon can be added if one has them handy.

Top Bottom