What's new

Rooney Style 1 - Question

So I am thinking about picking up a Rooney brush on classic shaving (they seem to have a good selection). I was interested in buying a Style 1, but am uncertain as to which size I should choose (Large, Medium, or Small) and which hair type (Super Silver, Silver, Best, etc.). I want this brush to be the best it can be for soaps (in terms of efficiency, a workhorse brush--not so much a luxurious sunday brush).

Thanks.

p.s. I had no idea these could be had with super silvertip for under $100. What's the catch/deal?

Cool!
I actually have the exact same question. Mine would be with a black handle; how about yours?:wink::biggrin:
Seriously, I'm kinda confused if not lost here.

I believe a 1/1 would be good for me cause I like'em rather small and go for face-lathering most of the time.

Now, Ambrose, could you please explain a little more about that finest grade?
I guess what we want here (I mean the Samouraï and I) is not necessarily something oh-so soft and luxurious, but a great soap workhorse with backbone to it (right?)
Where do you place that grade among the others; is it top of the pops??:drool:

I sometimes think a black Rooney 1/1 in Super is what I need... :confused: Don't know!?:frown:

Also, what's this story about the font on the handles, with the stylish handscript reportedly for the low end and the plain looking capital fonts for the high-end (that is US exports:glare:...) ??? Is it true or are they just facelifting that as well and some stockists still use old pics??

Sorry Mr Samouraï if you think I hijack your thread, really I do not intend, let's just say these are some complementary questions as I can assure you our quest is the same and I am really very happy that you just came up with this one before I did. Thank you.

Hope we're gonna get more good replies, and lots!:wink:
Ambrose...??:rolleyes:

Thanks gents!
C_J

Samouraï;1498428 said:
p.s. I had no idea these could be had with super silvertip for under $100. What's the catch/deal?

There is no catch unless you fall for the hype and shell out $300 for Finest.

A 1/1 in Pure is about $45 and is a good travel brush and small soap brush. A 1/2 in Super is about $99 and can be had in several different handles (Faux Horn rules) It is a sizable brush and can churn through just about any soap with ease. I relegated my 1/1 to travel kit duty and got a 1/2 and have never looked back.

Well a rooney finest is made from a rare species of badger for one. The hair is a creamy white at the tips the shafts are dark brown to black. The hair is very very soft at the tips while uber firm at the shafts. This hair behaves very differently than a regular badger hair (super, pure, best, silver) About the handles you are referring to they are part of the heritage line. They are made to reflect the early brush making days of rooney. They are made of imitation bone, which is to age with time. Its a category of a brush all on its own, here is a link with pics where a few of us talked about the heritage stubby finest in particular. Hope this helps :biggrin: oh and its worth every penny and then some.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103945

Last edited:
I am thinking a Rooney 1/Medium (medium is 2 and large is 3?) with a faux ivory handle. I don't have the money to buy a finest brush (200 for the small). So what would the next best hair be for soaps? I figure something stiffer, but would this be pure or best, or should i stick to silvertip and super?

Rooney 1/2 Faux Ivory - what hair grade for soap?

is a 1/1 better for soaps?

Last edited:
The 1/1 in super for $75 is typically considered the best bang for your buck soap brush out there.

The 1/1 in super for $75 is typically considered the best bang for your buck soap brush out there.

I might have to try it out. Is the super silvertip better than others for soap? I am looking for a weekday workhorse. I have the AoS Engraved Silvertip, and it is an amazing brush (never lost a hair) and is really beautiful. Sometimes I feel it is too big and a little on the floppy side (it spreads out very easily on my face and when loading it). I think it would make a better weekend, luxury brush. That's why I want a weekday workhorse that will churn the lather out of the soaps a bit quicker.

Is the 1/1 really like the size of a travel brush?

Samouraï;1498828 said:
Is the super silvertip better than others for soap?

I don't know, but the majority of hardcore soap users consider this THE brush. It is more the short loft and density, rather than the hair type, of this brush that makes it a soap brush. This hair type combined with the loft height/density seems to be some sort of magic sweet spot between soft on the face and monster in the soap dish.

Samouraï;1498828 said:
I am looking for a weekday workhorse. I have the AoS Engraved Silvertip, and it is an amazing brush (never lost a hair) and is really beautiful. Sometimes I feel it is too big and a little on the floppy side (it spreads out very easily on my face and when loading it). I think it would make a better weekend, luxury brush. That's why I want a weekday workhorse that will churn the lather out of the soaps a bit quicker.

This brush is a workhorse and churns lather like nobodies business. You'll probably have a bit of trouble with the dense knot at first as they tend to "hog" the lather.

Samouraï;1498828 said:
Is the 1/1 really like the size of a travel brush?

Depends on what you consider a travel brush size. I am sure some guys travel with 30mm knot monsters. The 1/1 is a small (tiny?) brush. The small size makes it extremely nimble in the soap dish and for lathering on the face.

I've got the Rooney 1/2 in Super, and I absolutely love it. I've got a number of other brushes including Kent BK4, '08 B&B LE, B&B Essential, and several others, and I use the Rooney more than almost all of them combined. It is larger than you might think, and if I were doing it again, I'd certainly get that brush in the size 1 instead of 2. The performance is simply great. The finest may be better, I don't know, but this is a great value in my opinion.

FWIW, I use soaps almost exclusively (it has been exclusive for the last 3 months if not more)

I've got the Rooney 1/2 in Super, and I absolutely love it.

Me too, and I would buy it exactly the same way were I to do it again. I use the Rooney 1/2 super for soaps, a shavemac 23mm silvertip for creams and my BBE whenever I feel like taking it out for a change of pace.

I'm a fairly big guy, and the size 2 is perfect for me.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Jon - I have both the 1/1 in Super and a Stubby Size 1 in Finest. Both are great soap brushes, slightly different badger hair & a significant difference in cost. Can't go wrong with either one

Jon - I have both the 1/1 in Super and a Stubby Size 1 in Finest. Both are great soap brushes, slightly different badger hair & a significant difference in cost. Can't go wrong with either one

Gary,

Would you say that the Finest is vastly superior to the Super?

I have a 1/1 in Super Silverp, and something about it just doesnt do it for me as much as my other brushes. Thats not to say that its not very well built. Its just a bit to small and the handle a bit to short. If anything Id get a 3/1 in Tortoise from VintageBlades....Ohhhh what the looker she is!

ooo nice Gary :biggrin: I didnt know you had one of them.

I know that question isnt directed at me but I would say that I think its superior to soaps. The thing is a beast, soft at the tips and uber firm. It loads soap like nothing else and it always give me the most dense of all lathers. It actually surprised me by how much soap this little guy can hold. I for one want to be buried with mine.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Gary,

Would you say that the Finest is vastly superior to the Super?

I won't say "vastly" superior, they are different though. The 1/1 Super is an excellent brush, so "vastly" overstates it, at least from a functional standpoint. Ambrose's description of soft tips & lots of backbone for the Finest is spot-on. Both are excellent with soaps & face lathering for me. Luckily I like small sizes so I can afford more of them to try :smile:

Top Bottom