What's new

Confession time - uses for colognes the designer never thought of

I thought it was time to come out with some crazy stuff I did to "get rid" of colognes I either didn't like or got tired of:

1. Aqua-Velva - 30 years ago in the boarding school I used it to wash the floor before the end of the week checkup by the seniors. I just couldn't smell it anymore on me but on the floor it smelled nice :wink:. That emptied the bottle nicely...If I remember correctly, I got a Dior Sauvage instead. Not a bad deal...

2. Aqua-Velva again - 25 years ago in the army. Same scenario and the same use. That was the last bottle I ever used...

3. These days I use a Best of Chevignon to clean my DE razor. It really shines it nicely. :biggrin:

I had an Omega boar brush that reeked so bad I finally doused it in Caswell-Massey Verbena cologne. That worked perfectly!

Maybe not an unusual use, but maybe not something everybody thought of either...I've sprayed various colognes and edt's into the heating vents in my car. This works good in the summer with the a/c on, but even better in the winter when you turn on the heat. The heat dries the alcohol a bit, and it releases the scent a lot, much like on your skin. The result? A great smelling car, and no stupid little trees dangling from your mirror. :smile:

Maybe not an unusual use, but maybe not something everybody thought of either...I've sprayed various colognes and edt's into the heating vents in my car. This works good in the summer with the a/c on, but even better in the winter when you turn on the heat. The heat dries the alcohol a bit, and it releases the scent a lot, much like on your skin. The result? A great smelling car, and no stupid little trees dangling from your mirror. :smile:

This is a great idea.

My personal story of using a cologne is a bit uncanny as well. When I was in my teens, I like many other people went through a bit of a "dried leaf burning" experimenting phase (and no, not incense). Needless to say, the aroma afterwards was a bit pungent and "noticeable". So what'd I do to cover this up is I sprayed Rive Gauche (along with a few citrus scents) in the air which is a heavy scent. It did the job very well and when my parents came home, they wouldn't suspect a thing. So basically, I used colognes as an air sanitizer. haha cmon, everyone's gone through that phase right?

Not-so-great colognes for me are used either as a car air freshener, room spray or body spray. For the body spray, I use it right after a shower and then rub off with the towel. That way, the smell is faint and doesn't last long. Still adds a tiny bit of extra luxury, though.

I'll be trying this tomorrow. Cool idea.

Car freshener and sometimes deodorant spray--the alcohol does a pretty good job if you're not doing manual labor.

I've also added witch hazel to some to make an AS splash. Vetiver puig is probably my favorite for this.

Top Bottom