What's new

TSA Airport Security and DE razors

So I am still wet behind the ears (no pun intended) when it comes to wetshaving, but I do a fair amount of flying for my job.

What should I expect (or leave home) when flying with DE razors? Will TSA take my razors?

Thanks!

I've just come back form a trip to the US. If you put blades in your carry on, they'll be confiscated. Check in baggage only for razors and blades.

What he said.

If you're checking luggage, just make sure that the blades go in the checked luggage. Of course, if you carry your razor in your carry-on be sure to remove blades. You run the risk of having the razor confiscated with the blades if you forget.

It's possible to mail a blade or two to your hotel in advance. Many people revert to cartridge razors for travel or use disposables. A good compromise in the cartridge realm would be to get a Trac II compaitble handle (Personna Bump Fighter razor is an option) which will allow you to use Personna brand Trac II cartridges for less than $.50 each. Search for threads on cartridges for more info on this option.

Some people find Bic Sensitive single blade disposables to be tolerable and affordable.

- Chris

Some people find Bic Sensitive single blade disposables to be tolerable and affordable.

Those are surprisingly decent. A reasonable choice if you are not going to check bags.

Of course, remember the limitations (3 oz., I think) on liquids you can carry on.

G

gone down south

My wife forgot to the blade out of her Lady Gillette last month, and screeners at PHL let her toss the blade but keep the razor.

Also, there's detailed coverage of this question in the wiki - unloaded razors good, blades bad.

That link that DSB posted summarize all.

I travel a lot with my job at least 2-3 times a month, I have a travel case ready 24/7 :smile:
Empty razor is OK, razor blades are not but you can check them in that is also OK. For liquids there is a limit for your carry on and no limits on checked in luggage, carry on must be less that 3.4 OZ in each bottle and it has to be that size, what I mean if you have a large bottle that has only very little left, less or equal to 3.4 oz, that is NOT OK, the size should be clear, you can have more than one bottle and as long as it is less that the 3.4 oz. as long as they fit in the standard one-quart ziploc bag

my 2 cents worth

Last edited:
My Grandmother gave me a vintage slim found under her sink. I tossed the blade, but included the razor in my carry on. TSA spotted it for sure, but then I explained I'm a collector and opened the TTO...no blade. TSA Agent was happy and so was I to get to keep my razor!

Another trick for blades. If you have time and know your destination, you can mail a few blades out before you leave.

Last edited:
Another trick for blades. If you have time and know your destination, you can mail a few blades out before you leave.

Yes that is correct, I do that if I don't have a rental car I always mail a razor out to the hotel or to the person I am visiting

Last edited by a moderator:
Its so much easier just to head out to walmart and pick up toiletries once you get to where you're going, forget the travel/carry on nonsense I say!

Its so much easier just to head out to walmart and pick up toiletries once you get to where you're going, forget the travel/carry on nonsense I say!

+1 Why take the risk checking valuable razors in when your bag could get lost or stolen, or hotel staff could steal the razor, etc. Better to take a cheapo or even better, go to a barbershop for a traditional shave and then you're supporting local businesses!

Not really. That takes time that I don't have when I've flown to meetings. And I would have to know my way around my destination to begin with so that I can find somewhere that stocks things that I like.

Yikes! All too many of my trips I end up checking into my hotel at 8:00 PM and leaving at 7:00 in the morning to be where I need to be. Also, good luck finding a Walmart in places like NYC or Chicago.

- Chris

Top Bottom