What's new

Historic Shaving Prices

I know we all think the new Fusion and other multi-blades are overpriced today but I saw a Gillette Goodwill in the box on Mr. Razor's site and the blades were marked "$1".
This would have been in the thirties and would one dollar not have been ALOT of money for blades at the time? Best I can figure that would be about twelve dollars or more in todays money. Being as Gillette had a patent on NEW blades at the time you would not have had a bargain bin alternative for DE blades.
Wp

To put it another way, I believe my grandfather was earning $12.50 a week in 1934, working 60 hours a week.

- Chris

The current model for Gillette (and now P&G) is the same now as it was then.

Sell (or now sometimes even give away) an inexpensive handle at, near, or even below cost which takes a very inexpensive to make blade that has a ridicules markup. It's a formula that works well, especially when combined with good and effective advertising. Got that safety razor? Well, it's pretty well useless without new blades. BTW the blade cost as much or more then the razor, happy shaving!

Many industries use the same methods. Ever heard someone in the retail industry use the term loss leader? This is taking very common items and selling them at or below your own cost and taking a loss on them. Why in the world loose money on something? It's simple. You need a gallon of milk so you run to the store and pick up that milk. They know you need it, it's a staple. Selling it cheaply and at a loss gets you into their store. Odds are while you are there you'll pick up something else. Magazine, candy, meat, any number of things you will find in the store. Whens the last time you went into a store and walked out with nothing but a gallon of milk, loaf of white bread, or a dozen eggs? Even if those items were the main things that motivated you to make the shopping trip.

Top Bottom