What's new

Alum Block / Styptic Pencil

Bought one, tried it. I could swear people on this forum said it didn't sting. Well I hate to burst the bubble, but it sure does sting. I can't tell that it did much and I still had to drag out the styptic pencil.

By the way, I have some Styptic powder as well.....for dogs nails when you clip them. Is that better to use? The pencil tends to go away quickly when wet.

Doc

Bought one, tried it. I could swear people on this forum said it didn't sting. Well I hate to burst the bubble, but it sure does sting. I can't tell that it did much and I still had to drag out the styptic pencil.

By the way, I have some Styptic powder as well.....for dogs nails when you clip them. Is that better to use? The pencil tends to go away quickly when wet.

Doc

:biggrin: You fell for the "it doesn't sting line"? rookie

The good news is that as your technique improves it will sting less...or not at all. It simply has to do with how much razor burn you have.

Less irritation = Less sting.

Doc

well Alum does not really sting. styptic on the other hand is not really meant for the entire face, but rather only on a nicked portion.

an alum block and a styptic stick, powder, roller etc. are not the same thing.

I like styptic pen.. I use it to rub all over my wet shaven face, it burns, it burns good and stops the bleed.. and tell me where I razor burned myself.. Then a good wipe down with some witch hazel... The burning tells me something is working right.. :spockflam

Do you ever need or use My Nik is Sealed? Does anyone know what that product is made from?

Found on the web:
"This updated styptic pencil contains vitamins A and E, and aloe, in an easy-to-use roll-on applicator. Most impressively, the coagulant dries clear, leaving no white residue as it seals pesky razor nicks with speed and command. This product can feel like a godsend when you need to be out the door quickly with a dry, nick-free face."

If you compare it to Clubman Pinaud, then no it does not sting at all :p

Alum Block is a tinlge, splash some clubman on your freshly shaven face if you wanna feel the sting.

If you scream or cry it reflects poorly on your manhood.

The good news is that as your technique improves it will sting less...or not at all. It simply has to do with how much razor burn you have.

+1. I tend to judge the quality of my shave by the alum block tingle. I nice smooth BBS with zero irritation doesn't cause any sting.
Be sure your using a cold water rinse with the block.

+1. I tend to judge the quality of my shave by the alum block tingle. I nice smooth BBS with zero irritation doesn't cause any sting.
Be sure your using a cold water rinse with the block.

Totally agree. It's also a usefull indicator if you use adjustables, when it starts stinging you know it might be cranked up us much as your face can take.

The better the shave, the less it stings. I didn't feel too much of a sting (more of a tingle) until I traveled and used a Bic sensative disposable razor with Cella soap.

When I applied the alum block, whoa Nelly! It packed quite a punch. Fortunately, I actually like a little sting to wake me up.

Yup. When you get a great shave and then using the Alum block all you feel is the cold, wet stone, you'll know that you've 'arrived'.

-- John Gehman

Top Bottom