What's new

First straight shave. So much feedback!

I just bought a Kropp razor and Dovo strop off of the BST forum. I've been doing lots of reading and research, and had my first shave today. I have A couple of observations and disappointments.

First, I was taken aback by the count of feedback in the hand holding the razor. I could feel the razor cutting (catching?) every hair. I'm used to my heavy Merkur HD, and I found this very disconcerting.

Second, even though I was expecting a steep learning curve, I was surprised that I couldn't get nearly as close a shave as I had anticipated.

I'll give it a few more shots, but don't be surprised if you see them on BST in upcoming weeks. Frankly, I'm not convinced the learning curve is worth it. Thoughts? encouragements?

Don't give up too soon. The learning curve is fairly steep, as there's a lot more to it than "just shaving with it".

There's "How to hold the razor for that little patch right there" and "what angle to use for that stretch there" and 50-odd other things that just take time, patience and care to learn. The amount of feedback becomes a good thing after about the 3rd or 4th shave, as once you can get a little confidence in your grip and hand motions, then you can use that feedback to get every last little nub of hair if you so desire.

Don't plan on good shaves until you get used to just plain using the razor. After that you can start actualy thinking about the shave as opposed to using the tool.

I just bought a Kropp razor and Dovo strop off of the BST forum. I've been doing lots of reading and research, and had my first shave today. I have A couple of observations and disappointments.

First, I was taken aback by the count of feedback in the hand holding the razor. I could feel the razor cutting (catching?) every hair. I'm used to my heavy Merkur HD, and I found this very disconcerting.

Yes, but thats because you bought a hollow ground razor. Wedges will feel like your merkur. They're beefier and have less "recoil."

Second, even though I was expecting a steep learning curve, I was surprised that I couldn't get nearly as close a shave as I had anticipated.

I'll give it a few more shots, but don't be surprised if you see them on BST in upcoming weeks. Frankly, I'm not convinced the learning curve is worth it. Thoughts? encouragements?

It takes a confident hand to get it right. Could also be the razor. If you think its not sharp enough, I'll take a look at it for you if you want.

To get a good shave, you really need to do a XTG pass, but that requires some dexterity with the straight. Its totally worth it in the end. Just look how gorgeous they are. And you'll never have to buy blades again! And the shaves are closer and once you get the hang of it, the shaves are more fun too. Hold on! Don't give up. Join us in the chat if you need encouragement.

The amount of feedback becomes a good thing after about the 3rd or 4th shave, as once you can get a little confidence in your grip and hand motions...
I can see where that would be true, certainly.

Yes, but thats because you bought a hollow ground razor. Wedges will feel like your merkur. They're beefier and have less "recoil."

It takes a confident hand to get it right. Could also be the razor. If you think its not sharp enough, I'll take a look at it for you if you want.
(...)
And you'll never have to buy blades again! And the shaves are closer and once you get the hang of it, the shaves are more fun too. Hold on! Don't give up. Join us in the chat if you need encouragement.

It make sense that a heavier razor would "jump around" a lot less. I'll try popping a free hanging hair tomorrow. I don't mind so much buying blades (I mean, in comparison to the price of everything else, they are pretty cheap). Thanks for the encouragement. I'll keep you posted.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Don't give up. When I did my first straight shave with a real straight, it was like I didn't shave at all. After a few shots, I began to notice an improvement. It takes time and pratice. I am still green at this but my shaves are getting closer and closer. I'm expecting my first BBS with a straight on Christmas.

To get a good shave, you really need to do a XTG pass, but that requires some dexterity with the straight. Its totally worth it in the end. Just look how gorgeous they are. And you'll never have to buy blades again! And the shaves are closer and once you get the hang of it, the shaves are more fun too. Hold on! Don't give up. Join us in the chat if you need encouragement.

Never buy blades again? Says the guy who just pulled out three forgotten straights from under his bed!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

OP: As Leighton says, you need a sharp razor, and good technique, and then the shaves are worlds away better , and more fun!

Frankly, I'm not convinced the learning curve is worth it. Thoughts? encouragements?

Of course it's not worth it. The proof is in how few people use one. If you're looking for "worth it" just stop using it right now. It'd be a shame, though, since you already have it, and have tried it once. You'll regret it if you sell it now and don't give it a chance because you'll never know.

No, most people wouldn't even give it a chance. Any sane, logical person that even bothered to try one--for whatever bizarre reason--would give it up after having achieved some proficiency, because it's just not worth the hassle when you can get a perfectly good shave with a DE or cartridge for a lot less effort.

No, if you have to ask, it's just not worth it. That kind of group-think will only lead you back to using multi-blade cartridges.

But then you're not a sane, logical, consensus kind of person, are you? If you were, you wouldn't be asking this kind of question on a shaving forum. No, you'd probably laugh yourself silly just thinking about what kind of nuts hang out on a shaving forum. Whatever got into you to make you try it in the first place? Whatever it was, it must've been some deep rooted personal thing that sets you apart from the crowd.

Is it worth it? I bet each of us straight users has some personal reasons for using one. Sure, some talk about how close a shave they get after years of trying, but who cares? It's just shaving, not an olympic sport. I bet each of us straight users gets some forbidden pleasure, some connection with the past, some kind of macho, raw steel kind of who knows what that drives us to absurd ends to achieve something most people just want to be over and done with.

Is it worth it? Are you asking me? My own personal reasons wouldn't mean a thing to you. Is it worth it? Heck, no. But that's besides the point. I do a lot of things that aren't worth it. At least not to the average person. Why do I do them? Personal reasons that just wouldn't cut it with you.

So I ask you...

Is it worth it?

Of course it's not worth it. The proof is in how few people use one. If you're looking for "worth it" just stop using it right now. It'd be a shame, though, since you already have it, and have tried it once. You'll regret it if you sell it now and don't give it a chance because you'll never know.

No, most people wouldn't even give it a chance. Any sane, logical person that even bothered to try one--for whatever bizarre reason--would give it up after having achieved some proficiency, because it's just not worth the hassle when you can get a perfectly good shave with a DE or cartridge for a lot less effort.

No, if you have to ask, it's just not worth it. That kind of group-think will only lead you back to using multi-blade cartridges.

But then you're not a sane, logical, consensus kind of person, are you? If you were, you wouldn't be asking this kind of question on a shaving forum. No, you'd probably laugh yourself silly just thinking about what kind of nuts hang out on a shaving forum. Whatever got into you to make you try it in the first place? Whatever it was, it must've been some deep rooted personal thing that sets you apart from the crowd.

Is it worth it? I bet each of us straight users has some personal reasons for using one. Sure, some talk about how close a shave they get after years of trying, but who cares? It's just shaving, not an olympic sport. I bet each of us straight users gets some forbidden pleasure, some connection with the past, some kind of macho, raw steel kind of who knows what that drives us to absurd ends to achieve something most people just want to be over and done with.

Is it worth it? Are you asking me? My own personal reasons wouldn't mean a thing to you. Is it worth it? Heck, no. But that's besides the point. I do a lot of things that aren't worth it. At least not to the average person. Why do I do them? Personal reasons that just wouldn't cut it with you.

So I ask you...

Is it worth it?

:lol::lol::lol:

+1 million

So I ask you...

Is it worth it?

That is the awesomeness type responce! +1million^1million^1million!

I am pretty sure theres not a single person in here who didnt go through the same doubts you are just experiencing. I was about to quit in frustration and anger for a dozen times at least. I am very glad i didnt. If you ever learned to play an instrument, its a similar thing - just that it does not hurt and bleed if you dont get that h7 chord right.

Patience, and confidence. Give yourself lets say ten shaves to get the basic feel. If by then you still dont enjoy it, and you are sure your razor is sharp enough, you can still reconsider selling the stuff.

Top Bottom