What's new

Has anyone else abandoned Starbucks?

I used to be a huge fan of Starbucks. I spent many a Saturday or Sunday morning lounging around reading the paper, people watching, and enjoying lattes. It was great to walk into there and see your favorite barista working and knowing you would be able to get a really good drink. I didn't mind paying nearly four bucks for a drink because it was really well made and tasteful.

Then, Starbucks replaced their semi-manual espresso machines with fully automatic ones that required no skill to operate - even a monkey could manage to push the buttons and make espresso. With that move, the drinks all became mediocre, albeit consistently mediocre. The turnover in the local one here in my town became high, and the magic went out of the place for me. I understand why Starbucks made the move - to cut costs by speeding up delivery of drinks and by not having to train baristas before putting them on duty. What's to train - just push the buttons, dummy. Plus, now they can hire the dumbest of the dumb high school dropouts to be baristas instead of people with an ability to learn and some skills.

I bought my own espresso maker (Gaggia Classic) last spring and have only been in a Starbucks about 3 times since then, all 3 times meeting friends. I love having the ability to make my own drink at any time. I make one to take to work every morning. I admit I do miss the people watching, but it's not worth that to pay premium money for a mediocre drink. Here's my feeling - if you are going to charge a luxury price for something, you have to make sure it's truly a luxury item and not an assembly line mediocre item. Now, they won't even make your drink "extra hot" because they say "corporate" won't let them, probably because that takes 20 extra seconds to heat the milk and that time can't be wasted on a lowly customer.

OK, rant over.

As I'm sitting here enjoying my 2nd eggnog latte of the morning, freshly made from the Gaggia, I was wondering if any others had noticed the same thing about Starbucks and had abandoned them. For a while, I was going to independent, individually owned coffee houses, but Starbucks has all but put them out of business by their relentless expansion to seemingly every corner in town. So, I'll just keep on enjoying my drinks at home, which are tailored to my likes and made just like I like them.

YMMV.

M

modern man

I am not a Starbucks fan.

I like coffee flavord coffee (Dennis Leary).

I've never given Starbucks my business, so I guess I can't say I've abandoned it. You really should be able to find a coffee shop or bean roaster locally that can take care of you.

Yep, same thing happened with me. The new machines suck and now I only buy a regular offee if I am in a hurry or too lazy to make coffee myself. I stopped going to SB about 2 years ago. That is whne the fully automated machines started popping up.

Never liked Starbucks. Always found it impersonal. The atmosphere always seems generic and not comfortable - not a place I would want to cozy up with a paper or book and cup of coffee to relax on a Saturday morning or study (back when I did that) on an evening. I have always preferred the personality of the independents. My college town had at least half a dozen good coffee houses, and I don't even know where the Starbucks was. Berkeley was pretty good that way too. Now I'm in the godforsaken city, and there is a veritable plague of Starbucks, but there are still a few (too few) other coffee places. Personally, though, I rarely get a coffee out. I do enjoy it occasionally though. And yes, the machines are a travesty. Although I appreciate the Starbucks machine in the lunchroom at work which lets me have a decent cup of freshly ground and brewed coffee, whenever I want, FOR FREE.

-Mo

Typically I go to Starbucks while only while traveling. I need an acceptable cup of coffee or shot of espresso while on the road and SB provides it. I agree that the automatic machines provide a less pleasing shot and the skill level of the barista is sad in many locations now. Nothing quite like having to hand back the cappuccino and say "I asked for it wet" and then have to explain to them what 'wet' means. I am quite satisfied with my at home and in the office toys, so Starbucks is not a destination when I am local.

-Scott-

I agree that the automatic machines provide a less pleasing shot and the skill level of the barista is sad in many locations now. Nothing quite like having to hand back the cappuccino and say "I asked for it wet" and then have to explain to them what 'wet' means. I am quite satisfied with my at home and in the office toys, so Starbucks is not a destination when I am local.

-Scott-

Bingo, Scott. I had the same experience a while ago. You would think they would have a clue what a wet cappuccino is and how to make it. Guess not.

I've never given Starbucks my business, so I guess I can't say I've abandoned it. You really should be able to find a coffee shop or bean roaster locally that can take care of you.

Ben, you would think so. I'll have to look around and see if any new ones have popped up. One of my favorites, run by a family and with supremely yummy muffins, had to close up due to lack of business. Sad.

You also can shop online and get extremely fresh, top-quality beans delivered to you in a hurry. For example, plenty of folks shop here and [url="http://www.buystumptowncoffee.com]here[/url].

Ben, you would think so. I'll have to look around and see if any new ones have popped up. One of my favorites, run by a family and with supremely yummy muffins, had to close up due to lack of business. Sad.

Sad, but the fault of your community , I'm afraid.
I live in a small town and we have a Starbucks and a little coffeehouse.
We also have numerous little guy businesses and restaurants.
We fight constantly to keep big biz out of our lives and, while it is difficult and sometimes costly, the majority here frequents the little guy as much as possible.
I hear a lot of groaning about Starbucks, but hey..
No one is making you buy their coffee ~!
and...yep. Me too. I only go to SB's if forced too. :cursing:

I've never cared for Starbucks. First time I ever saw one was when it opened next door to my favorite coffee house, where I used to lounge and read the paper, or study for exams (this was when I was a student). Despite the fact that there was a perfectly good cafe that was locally owned right next door, all sorts of idiots were lining up to drink the dreck at Starbucks. It was maddening, and not long afterward my favorite cafe went out of business. I have only gone into a Starbucks when there is no alternative available, and I find their coffee to be too hot and largely flavorless. It is the McDonald's of the coffee world.

..... Now, they won't even make your drink "extra hot" because they say "corporate" won't let them, probably because that takes 20 extra seconds to heat the milk and that time can't be wasted on a lowly customer.

Really??
All the ones here in San Diego will still do all that stuff, perhaps they still have the "old" equipment as well? We almost always order ours extra hot, and my future brother in law, who used to work there, always orders some kind of special order version for his drink.
Dunno. Lena and I still go to starbucks pretty often, and they pretty much still make the stuff like they used to.
I guess if what you're saying is true, it's not much to look forwards to.
John P.

Starbucks only for frappucinos.

Without all the cream, sugar, and ice, it just taste like burned coffee.

I make mine at home or go to Dunkin Donuts (Coit and Parker in Plano).

I was turned off to SB the first time I went in and had to take a relatively long time trying to figure out how much a "large", "medium" or "small" coffee cost- for crying out loud! :mad: From then on I made it a point to order in English on the rare occasions I patronized SB.

Give me my paper cawffee cup with the Greek design on it anytime.

Jordan

I pick up fresh roasted stuff from Pete's Coffee & Tea, and if I'm feeling lazy, I'll just stop by and pick up a cup (I'm about 3 miles away from my local Pete's)

A couple of times. I used to have a girlfriend that liked it. With that said I never ordered. I always had her.

I had a real problem with the starbucks jargon. Skinny, wet, dry, grande, venti etc.... I decided that my brain was filled with enough stupid stuff that I did not need to learn a new language to order a coffee. There was a book (probably still out there) that explained what all the words meant.

Matty runs on Dunkin'. I buy the beans and make it in my $14.95 Gevalia coffee maker. I am not mocking. If you like lattes then by all means you need a good machine. I myself have spent far more money on far stupider endeavors!

Starbucks has always tasted bitter and burnt to me, so I avoid them as much as I can. I'm a Pete's man myself. But lately, Ristretto's has been giving Pete a run for his money! :thumbup1:

Ahhhh...I do miss those days lounging with a good book at a coffee shop (Au Cocolet in Berkeley, anyone?).

proxy.php

Top Bottom