What's new

product suggestions

Hi I'm new here but have been we shaving with a Fusion cartridge razor for about 3 years now. I'm looking to get into a safety razor but find myself overwhelmed by the amount of choices. Any suggestions on a good first time razor, blade and soap?

I really like the Proraso cream. It's easy to find (if you have a Bath & Body Works nearby, it's sold there as C.O. Bigelow), reasonably priced, lathers easily, and feels great.

I can't really give any pointers on razors, blades, or soap since mine haven't arrived yet.

You'll want to think about a brush too, BTW.

For razor, I'd go with a Gilette Tech. Plenty of them to be had. They pop up on the Buy/Sell/Trade forum quite a bit.

Blades are extremely personal, but my preference would be for a Gillette Green 7 o'clock or Astra Superior Platinum.

As far as soaps go, there are a million good soaps. It kind of depends on how much you want to spend. If you want to spend very little, go with VDH Deluxe. If you have more to spend, you could try a puck of soap from The Gentlemen's Quarter or Prarie Creations. If you really want to spend a lot, I'd suggest either Trumper's or Art of Shaving.

You'll need a brush, too. I like the Omega boar brushes, and they don't cost a lot.

Good luck and have fun!

heres my pics...i just started recently too and i have found that i have no complaints with my gillette superspeed razor, i got a 1957 model and got a nice condition one for 17 bux shipped to my door. As far as soaps, i love proraso, so far its given me the best shaves-if i just had to pick one right now for comfort and price it wins by a long shot. Blades im still experimenting with....but right now im using some old viking blades a friend kicked down to me, but am prob gonna try astra soon. I hear derby's and israeli personnas are good beginner blades.....its all gonna change when you finally get into it though when you find out what works for you and your face.....

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

A Gillette Tech on the Buy/Sell/Trade section of this forum is a good choice. If you prefer something new, Merkur HD.

For the blades, you will need a razor blade sample pack. Westcoast shaving has a few of them. It will allow you to try different blades and find what works best for you.

Soap. Proraso is a good choice. I would recommend a shaving cream to start with, I find them easier. You can't go wrong with Taylor of Old Bond Street products, Geo F. Trumper or even Proraso/Bigelow cream.

With that, you will need a brush. A simple boar/bristle brush will do. You can pick up an omega for ~$10.

Keep in mind, no pressure and 30 deg angle.

Have a look at Mantic's vids if you didn't: http://www.youtube.com/mantic59

I would second Van der Hagen, available at most rite aids, walmarts, walgreens, and CVSs as a good first time soap. Any of the three varieties should be good. If you want to splurge, look at Taylor of old Bond Street for a "best bang for the buck" luxury cream that is easily sellable if you decide you don't like it.

My first razor was a Merkur Classic, though many recommend a Merkur Heavy Duty. I believe the Merkur Classic is supposed to perform similarly to the Gillette Tech.

As far as blades, I have been able to use the generic ones from most chain pharmacies. You may also be able to find Wilkinson Sword, which I thought were smoother, but not quite as sharp. Razors are indeed a personal choice, so I would recommend a sample pack from Tryphon or West Coast Shaving. I haven't dealt with either online vendor, but have heard good things on the forum.

I think the blades to try are the generic Personnas available at the chain pharmacies, Wilkinson Sword, Feather, Gillette 7 o'clock sharp, and Derby.

FYI, I have been wet shaving for a year, but only joined the forum recently.

Thanks everyone so far on all the suggestions. Yes, I forgot to mention I need a brush. I've seen that there are sooo many choices out there! One at a local retailer for $85 and then some others online for around $15. Hard to choose!

I'm going to check out the B/S/T forums, didn't even see they were there at first!

I've been eyeing a Merkur HD for a razor, it sounds like a decent starter.

I'm having a hard time finding shops to buy supplies,but possibly I'm looking too hard. Is it as simple as my local pharmacy/drug store? I went to 5 different department and bath/body stores here in MN and only found a few things.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thanks everyone so far on all the suggestions. Yes, I forgot to mention I need a brush. I've seen that there are sooo many choices out there! One at a local retailer for $85 and then some others online for around $15. Hard to choose!

I'm going to check out the B/S/T forums, didn't even see they were there at first!

I've been eyeing a Merkur HD for a razor, it sounds like a decent starter.

I'm having a hard time finding shops to buy supplies,but possibly I'm looking too hard. Is it as simple as my local pharmacy/drug store? I went to 5 different department and bath/body stores here in MN and only found a few things.

Have a look at the shopping/vendor threads.

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Links
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3779
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=242

If you go new, a Merkur HD is hard to beat. I'm very happy with it, it's easy to use and load. Good weight and size too, and easy to manoeuvre around.

You can actually work up a pretty good lather that works well with the $7 VDH kit from Wally World. Then go for a Tech or a Super Speed, and a sampler pack (the larger the better), and you're moving into shaving Nirvana. Warning though: prepare to spend money in the coming months, as razors, soaps, etc. are like the old Lays potato chip commercials: no one can eat (buy) just one...

youll get a different response from everyone, but if i were to do it all again, knowing what i do now i would get:

tech
red personnas
reknotted vintage on the bst
tabac soap

Wet shaving supplies on the local level are few, and far between. You might have a local tobacco shop that stocks wet shaving supplies, otherwise check these:

-Wal-Mart: VDH deluxe soap, and starter kit (bowl, boar brush, and deluxe soap).

-Rite Aid: The Real Shaving Company Shaving Cream

-Bath and Body Works: C.O. Bigelow Premium Shaving Cream comes in a green metal tube, in a green box.

-Crabtree and Evelyn: several shaving creams, possibly a brush, or two.

-Art of Shaving: this line is a tad bit high priced ($22 for a tub of shaving cream, but excellent quality products). You might have a full store at your local mall, or it is often stocked at Macey's as well. This brand carries the full lineup of wet shaving products: shaving cream, shaving soap, aftershave, brushes, and Merkur razors (although priced way high).

-Rite Aid: The Real Shaving Company Shaving Cream

I picked up a tube of this yesterday on my way home from work. $4.99 plus tax. Lathered it up this morning and it is really nice. Aside from the scent, it was like shaving with Truefitt and Hill! Seriously. You should check this stuff out.

G

gone down south

Check the b /s/t, people often sell complete "newbie kits" that have one of everything you need to get started.

I think the Gillette Tech would be perfect for you. Add some proraso shaving cream or Tabac shaving soap, a blade sampler from Westcoastshaving.com or bullgooseshaving.com, a badger brush, and you're off and running. For aftershaves, I recommend Nivea Sensitive ASB or Proraso ASB.

Top Bottom