What's new

First DE wetshave

Received my Merkur 38c yesterday. I went with the 38c after handling an HD in a cutlery shop and thought it to be puny. For the beginner DE shaver, from the opinion of a beginner DE shaver, I think it is perfect due to its length being closer to that of the cartridge razor you might be used to using.
This mornings shave;

Hardware:
Merkur 38c
Merkur sample blade.
VDH boar brush.
Software:
C.O. Bigelow Premium Shave Cream with Eucalyptus Oil
Brut Aftershave
Normal routine, shower then shave with the brush and bowl in the sink with hot water during the shower.
Lathered up
1st N –S pass which makes a WTG upper face and near WTG on the neck.
re-lather
2nd Same as 1st.
re-lather
3rd XTG
re-lather rough spots
4th Clean up rough spots
Warm rinse, cold rinse followed by a splash of Brut Aftershave.

My conclusion is that is was a good close shave. I have a couple of places up high that have tiny tiny razor burn, likely due to angle issues. That problem will diminish with time. I also had issues with the usual suspects with my face. The bottom of my neck on either side of the throat are spots that seem to grow semi circular. That has always been an issue but I will address it more when my DE technique is firmed up. Picked up pack of Personas from Wal-Mart and will order a sample pack to find the “right” blades.

Last edited:
Congrats on your first shave!! :biggrin::biggrin:

It only gets better from here.

By the way, you are re-lathering for each pass correct? You didn't mention if you were in your description, and it is very important to not shave over un-lathered skin of you want to avoid irritation, and razor burn!! :biggrin:

Yes I am re-lathering. The slight burn I got was up by my ear at the start of the stroke so I am thinking that I was correcting angle off the blocks. :001_wub:

Got my HD in the mail today, and my first thought was.. it's tiny! But I used it and once I was shaving, I never felt like the size was wrong- didn't even think about it (probably busy making sure I didn't slice my face off).

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

Congrats on the first shave!

I've been shaving with a DE for about 2 years. The 38C was my 1st razor and is still the one I use the most. I added a 39C to my den about a year ago. It has the same handle with a slant head. Makes a great 1-2 punch.

Ken

I can throw you a few blades in an envelope if you like. PM me your address. Unless of course, you've already ordered your sample kit. I won't give you as much as a sample kit will. But a few to get you going. If you want.

I can throw you a few blades in an envelope if you like. PM me your address. Unless of course, you've already ordered your sample kit. I won't give you as much as a sample kit will. But a few to get you going. If you want.

Thanks for the offer but I have a sample kit on the way. These Persona's seem forgiving but dull. Can't wait for that sample kit should be Wednesday to Friday.:biggrin:

Top Bottom