What's new

Cleaning razors with Bon Ami

I have had good luck using Bon Ami (http://www.bonami.com/) to clean my old razors and having really good luck. Doesn't scratch the finish, and gets things nice and shiny. Just wanted to see if any one else has used it, or if there are any reasons I shouldn't use it.

Last edited:
No, I don't. No, I wouldn't. And, no, it's not recommended IMHO. It may not "scratch" but it is abrasive. As any stainless steel sink that's been cleaned with it for several years will show. From Bon Ami's own list of ingredients:

Bon Ami Polishing Cleanser is made from calcite & feldspar mineral abrasives,

On nickel, it may not be such a big deal (many kitchen faucets are plated with nickel). But I wouldn't use it on either gold or silver razors.

I love this product. It has many useful applications around the house such as getting hard to clean scuffs off floors and walls and cleaning areas such as counter tops etc, but it still is abrasive and I would not use it on gold or silver razors any more than I would a metal polish.

relative to their slogan, I think whether it has "scratched yet" or not, depends upon if you are talking about "naked eye" scratches or microscopic scratches. :wink:

Regards,
Tom Myers

I use Bon Ami on all of my razors. It cleans very well, with no evidence of harm to the razor finish. I would not use it on gold-finish razors or on painted metal.

Top Bottom