What's new

Inconsistent 7O'Clock blades

I have tried the 7O'Clock green Permasharp and the yellow SharpEdge. Two blades of each and the experience has been inconsistent. I recognize that the greens and yellows are manufactured in different places, however the experience within each brand has been inconsistent.

My first experience with the greens was pleasant during the shave, with a smooth finish, but a lot of redness. My first yellow was actually a little rough, with some drag and tugging during the shave, but the results were decent with minimal irritation. This was the case over multiple shaves with each brand.

With the second blade of each brand, each performed in the opposite way. The yellow was very smooth during the shave (first yellow was rough), and the green had a significant amount of drag and tugging (first was smooth, although irritation resulted). Again this was the case over multiple shaves with each brand.

In fact, over multiple shaves with the second green Permasharp I rotated the blade several times and I am confident that the roughness I felt was specifically with only one particular side of the blade, while the other side was quite smooth.

I've had a third tour with the yellows and they are starting to grow on me. I was wondering if others have had similar experiences and whether these 7O'Clock brands are more prone to be inconsistent?

I have been using the 7 O'Clock sharp edge (yellow) blades exclusively for about three months. I have yet to encounter a bad blade.

I'm not that surprised with the replies. The yellows seem to be widely used and regarded by most as sharp and smooth. They are starting to grow on me.

The green Permasharps, however, will most likely be on the shelf a little while before trying them again. I think I may stick to rotating between the Derby, yellow SharpEdge, and Super Iridiums for a little while.

I got the standard starter sampler from West Coast Shaving, and the Gillette yellow-pack 7 O'clock Sharp edge product blew the others away. I have been using them exclusively for the past 6 months and don't recall getting a bad blade yet.

This is funny to me. Not ha ha but strange! When "blade surfing" I tried both 7 O'clock yellows and Iridiums. I actually pitched em along with the Dorco 300, Derby, (sorry Derby fans, I know theres a huge following here) and to many others to list and ended up using IPs and Feathers exclusively! About 2 months ago I was checking out blade reviews and yellows and Iridiums kept topping the polls sort of speak so I ordered both . (again). There both great with the Iridium being my favorite at this point. I don't especially like there price but hey, its still cheap.

Did I just happen to pick out 2 "bad" blades, probably not. I learned not to throw new blades away anymore.
I recently acquired 250 red pack personnas sitting under the sink which may never see light again but not throwing em out!!:biggrin:

This is funny to me. Not ha ha but strange! When "blade surfing" I tried both 7 O'clock yellows and Iridiums. I actually pitched em along with the Dorco 300, Derby, (sorry Derby fans, I know theres a huge following here) and to many others to list and ended up using IPs and Feathers exclusively! About 2 months ago I was checking out blade reviews and yellows and Iridiums kept topping the polls sort of speak so I ordered both . (again). There both great with the Iridium being my favorite at this point. I don't especially like there price but hey, its still cheap.

Did I just happen to pick out 2 "bad" blades, probably not. I learned not to throw new blades away anymore.
I recently acquired 250 red pack personnas sitting under the sink which may never see light again but not throwing em out!!:biggrin:

I feel the same way. I won't be throwing them out and will be using them again, the yellows probably more than the greens. However, given how popular 7O'Clocks (all varieties) seem to be, my experience seemed quite strange. And I'm not sure it had a lot to do with my technique, especially with the greens, since each edge from a single blade provided vastly different levels of comfort from each other during the same shave.

Speaking of Derby and Iridiums, I really like Derby Extra blades, they are very smooth and very forgiving, and I would say they are currently my favorite blade. However, I have recently tried the Iridiums and they seem to be as smooth as the Derby, but they also seem sharper, resulting in more efficient beard reduction without any additional risk of skin irritation. I need to have a few more shaves with them, but the Iridiums are becoming my new favorite blade.

Top Bottom