What's new

Sauces- South Carolina Mustard based BBQ sauce

This is a mustard based sauce for a completely different perspective on Q.
This is a basic recipe don't be afraid to change it up and make it your own.

• 2 Tbs vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup onions minced
  • 1 cup prepared mustard-yellow is fine
  • 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 1 tsp celery seed
  • 1 tsp salt
Sauté onions until tender add the remainder of the ingredients and simmer for 20-30 minutes.

Glaze your pork while cooking or add to pulled pork sammies.

Enjoy!

B&B sauce depository

Eastern Carolina Vinegar based BBQ sauce

The humble Ketchup/catsup/catchup

Sauces- Kansas City style BBQ

Sauces- South Carolina Mustard based BBQ sauce

Sauces- Piedmont region BBQ sauce

Sauces- Northwestern region of North Carolina

Sauces- Orange BBQ Sauce

Sauces- The mysterious white BBQ sauce

Last edited:
I do love a good mustard Q sauce. We don't see them much in the Pacific Northwest, but I make it from time to time. Now, have you ever tried a berry based sauce? :tongue: yummy

I was actually waiting for this post. Always looking for a good pork sauce.
But for some reason, I keep wanting to shout "New York City?"

I was born and raised on KC sauce, but there is something inexplicably magic about the mustard sauce. Now, I am a die hard fan and advocate of the mustard sauce... although I use apple cider vinegar and a touch of hard apple cider in mine for a more complex sugar profile.

I do like the addition of celery seed though...

Very nice recipe! My first encounter with a Carolina mustard sauce was at a pig pickin' on the South Side in Chicago. It was a revelation--like I had gone through a couple of decades of life without ever truly tasting pork. My favorite still remains a simple vinegar sauce (like the NC recipe that Jim posted earlier), but mustard sauce is a close second.

Being form SC, I absolutely love mustard based sauce. Between that and vinegar BBQ, I see absolutely no reason for ketchup based sauce.

DS/B MCS, where abouts in the upstate are you? I graduated from Clemson in December. I'm now in exile in the Great White North, but my parents still live in Charleston.

DS/B MCS, where abouts in the upstate are you? I graduated from Clemson in December. I'm now in exile in the Great White North, but my parents still live in Charleston.

We are located in Greenville

The wife and I have been IPTAY members for almost 20 years. My wife finished her grad degree at Clemson :cool:

Top Bottom