What's new

i can finally make great lather and here's the trick...

i've been lurking here for about a year, reading up on different techniques, shaving soaps/creams, and razors. i myself have a merkur hd with derby extra blades, crabtree brush, tabac soap, and pinaud-clubman for aftershave. i just registered to say thanks to all for sharing so much great info. thanks to you all i have found a new hobby and i can finally get a close shave without any irritation.

today i discovered something that changed my lather from being crappy to being something i could actually call quality. that something is a bigger mixing bowl. before i was using a small metallic cup. it would take ages to make lather and my hand would actually start hurting from mixnig. the quantity was also lacking. the quality was dry and needing water, but adding even the tiniest amount of water ruined it.

i decided to try using a HUGE coffee mug, and using the same basic technique that i used in the small cup, i made the greatest lather ever. it was so thick and there was so much of it that i could not only shave my face with several passes, but i'd also have plenty left for my head. the quality was JUST right, and it took like a minute less to prepare it! it was also incredibly easy to see the amount of water needed because of all the extra room.

so, if you're making bad lather like me, try using a huge coffee mug or even a rice bowl.

I found the same to be true. I use a small bowl to hold soaps, but I build mine in a nice LARGE almost bowl like thing. I get much better lather that way.

Absolutely folks, no need getting frustrated whipping your brush around in a small mug or shallow bowl. Grab an old cereal bowl from the kitchen and go to town :biggrin:

I recently did this from a "proper" shave mug to a small cereal bowl and it is far easier to lather up, thinking of using my bath next:tongue:

the mug i got from saint charles shaving for 10 bux does the trick so much better than any bowl/cup ive used so far, and it just looks smooth as hell! def makes a diff what vessel you choose for building that lather.

I agree I moved from my small walmart VDH bowl, you know the green one, to a large mug from the Franklin Tolietry Company, and when I don't face lather, it is much easier to produce and quality lather.

Top Bottom