What's new

What Are The Most Aggressive (Yet Easily Obtainable) Safety Razors Out There?

What are the top, oh, let's 2 or 3 most aggressive, yet easily obtainable Safety Razors out there, either vintage or current? I'm looking for a razor that will give me a very nice close shave, even BBS, but won't have me tearing up my face in the process?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
The Schick Adjustable Injector cranked all the way up is for me the most agressive safety razor. Next would be the Fatboy/Slims set similarly, finally the Slants.

just based on my own experience, a modern gillette adjustable (mine is a '61 aristocrat - very similar to a slim) or a 1920s gillette old type are about as aggressive as they get

i've heard "fat boy on 9 with a feather" mentioned elsewhere, but haven't had any experience with that myself

Merkur slant
Slim adjustable wound up to the max
Merkur Futur wound up to the max
Gillette Red Tip maybe (Depending on how you use it...YMMV of course)

Plus to state the obvious, a more aggressive blade needs to be used (say a Kai or Feather).

[...] I'm looking for a razor that will give me a very nice close shave, even BBS, but won't have me tearing up my face in the process?
Then your approach is wrong. Why not adjust your technique before buying a razor in which process you have to relearn it either way?

In addition to that I recommend looking into a Gillette NEW.

hi
out of the razors that i own has to be a slant ,with a feather blade .:eek:4 days of growth and it will whip it off like a hot knife through butter. thats with a new blade .:smile:

than the fatboy or slim adjustable at max.

I get a damned fine shave from the slant, but there is no way in hell I would open the adjustables to max - it would be like flensing.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
What I tried?

Muhle Pinsel R89 old model, some webshops are still selling them. I know it was still for sale in Oz @ shaver shop under Premax a few months ago...

Merkur Slant, always a safe choice

Mmm, Gillette NEW Improved.

As for how it will go now without taking skin out, it all comes down to technique. With experience, you won't even think about it and it will be easy.

What are the top, oh, let's 2 or 3 most aggressive, yet easily obtainable Safety Razors out there, either vintage or current? I'm looking for a razor that will give me a very nice close shave, even BBS, but won't have me tearing up my face in the process?

Any razor will give a close shave, and even a BBS shave, it's just a matter of how many passes might be required to accomplish it.

A more aggressive razor is less forgiving, and thus more prone to tearing your face up, if you technique is lacking.

If you are not getting nearly nick free shaves with your current setup, then considering a more aggressive razor is not the answer: continuing to hone your technique, however, is.

I wouldn't think of using a more aggressive razor, unless my technique was well developed, and consistently repeatable.

That being said, the most aggressive razor I have come across is the Gem Micromatic Open Comb. It's super super aggressive, and in my mind only a few steps below a straight.

~John~

SNIP<<<< most aggressive

<<<<<SNIP>>>>>

but won't have me tearing up my face in the process?

I dunno if these two belong together.

I have a Futur and cranked wide open, I'm sure you could skin a moose with it, yet you don't want your face ripped up so you want to be using an agressive razor???

:confused:

Not being ignorant, that just doesn't make sense to me.

+1 for the Ikon. This is an aggressive razor only if you mishandle it. It is also capable of amazing shaves if you pay attention to blade angle and pressure.

Sledgehammer slant

The sledgehammer is definitely up there, I find it very smooth, too!

Hey, if you want the MOST aggressive, why not just use the blade and skip the razor altogether? :w00t: There's a photo from National Geographic of a guy dry shaving with just a razor blade (South Pacific Islander from the late '60s, I think), but I would NOT recommend trying that! :tongue_sm

Top Bottom