What's new

Is this a good way to make lather?

I was having some issues creating a lather with a certain soap the other night so I went surfing around for some techniques. I found this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIsj58fqVjY

I tried this guys method and it did indeed create a nice thick lather with the soap I was using. I was just wondering if this were a good way to make lather with soaps like tabac that are prone to that soap disease or whatever. If I used this technique would I have to dry the soap out afterwards? I liked this method because of the time. You can bust out a nice thick lather fairly quick with some good spins of a brush on the puck like he demonstrates in the video.

I tried this the other night on one of my soaps and it did create a good shaving lather. I'm just worried that it will damage my good soaps. Any advice out there?

I have seen all of Mantics videos, but seriously he makes magic lather. I have brought a laptop into the bathroom with me and followed step by step and have not been able to produce a lather in the two-three flicks like mantic does to create his. He is blessed by the lather gods or something.

I have seen all of Mantics videos, but seriously he makes magic lather. I have brought a laptop into the bathroom with me and followed step by step and have not been able to produce a lather in the two-three flicks like mantic does to create his. He is blessed by the lather gods or something.

In most of the videos I've seen he is clearly using a glycerine type soap, which would lather much faster than a tallow soap like Tabac.

I'm not sure about this worry you have of damaging the soap.

You just have to practice. Every soap/brush combination is a little different. What works for one will not work for another. Use one brush, one soap, and practice every day, and eventually you'll get great lather.

Besides, it's much more satisfying to develop your own technique than just copying someone from youtube (even though he rules)..

Use the advice you get here, but play around and experiment. You'll get it. But you won't be a lather expert overnight...

G

gone down south

That video is the "Zach Method". It definitely works, but it's very wasteful of soap - use it with your cheap soaps, not the expensive ones ;)

I tried this guys method and it did indeed create a nice thick lather with the soap I was using. I was just wondering if this were a good way to make lather with soaps like tabac that are prone to that soap disease or whatever. If I used this technique would I have to dry the soap out afterwards? I liked this method because of the time. You can bust out a nice thick lather fairly quick with some good spins of a brush on the puck like he demonstrates in the video.

I tried this the other night on one of my soaps and it did create a good shaving lather. I'm just worried that it will damage my good soaps. Any advice out there?

As I recall, the only danger of "damaging" a soap like Tabac is from excessive presoaking of the puck or leaving water in its dish after you're done with it. I don't think there's anything in any particular brush loading or lathering procedure that will damage it.

I do agree with the other poster about the wastefulness of Zach's method (pouring all of the less worthwhile stuff down the drain).

- Chris

I like the zach method. I just wondered if there would be a danger in damaging the puck since his method consists of lathering right on the puck with a wet boar brush

I like the zach method. I just wondered if there would be a danger in damaging the puck since his method consists of lathering right on the puck with a wet boar brush

Thousands of men have been lathering soap on the puck with a boar brush for decades (myself included). I wouldn't worry about it too much :biggrin:

You'll probably go through the puck faster, but this method won't damage it.

Try it with your VDH and see how you like it. I did it once or twice but ended up settling on bowl lathering.

I would agree with everyone else here. I lather right on the puck more than I face lather now, because I find I get a great lather in less time, and with less guessing as far as water goes. I rinse excess lather off the soap at the end of the shave, then drain the bowl.

You should be just fine.

I was having some issues creating a lather with a certain soap the other night so I went surfing around for some techniques. I found this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIsj58fqVjY

The method in the video you are referring to is my lather method of choice. It's a little messy, but I get a great lather with both my tallow and glycerin soaps.

Just for those who haven't tried that link - this isn't one of mantics vids. Unless he just moved to New York, and acquired the accent straight away.:wink:

I think the method does depend on the soap you're using. For cheap soaps like VDH or Williams, just get the lather however you can. For a $50 soap I would be a bit more careful about the amount of water and pressure I'm using.

as for damaging the soap, I really don't understand what that means. Unless you mean use more soap than you think you ought to. In which case, buy more soap. The really good triple milled soaps will last a long time anyway. Glycerin soaps won't so long using Zach's method but you'd probably get an awsome lather using it.

Top Bottom