What's new

Favorite tallow-based soap

So there may have been threads regarding your favorite tallow shaving soaps -- mine is the Trumper's Rose I was able to get from Bigelow recently -- but just to start this up again for the discriminating newcomers -- please suggest and comment on your favorite tallow-based soap.

Which one of these soaps is your favorite and why?

The GFT Rose is thicker, more cushioning and easier to lather than the newer glycerin based formulation -- at least in my opinion. It provides a smooth, nick-free shaving experience that is hard to equal with any other soap I've used. Razors and blades certainly make a difference, but as for softening the stubble and moisturizing the skin -- GFT tallow-based soap has no equal.

Of course you may have a different favorite -- please advise.

Thanks.

Thanks for your comments, but...

For the benefit of the newcomer to soaps and tallow vs. glycerin soaps in particular -- please tell us why you prefer one soap over another, and what makes you think tallow is better, more effective, or easier to use than other soaps. If you do.

Thanks.

tabac, then arko

tallow is better, imho, because its easier to lather, and said lather is much better

and Arko shave sticks.

-- John Gehman

This is a really wonderful stick. Excellent soap.

Thanks for your comments, but...

For the benefit of the newcomer to soaps and tallow vs. glycerin soaps in particular -- please tell us why you prefer one soap over another, and what makes you think tallow is better, more effective, or easier to use than other soaps. If you do.

Thanks.

I didn't really notice a huge difference until I started using straights. A good tallow soap just produces mounds of thick lather. Lather that is creamy, cushy, slick, and protective. It's like all the positive attributes thrown into one. Now I do enjoy some none tallow soaps but they don't match the tallow ones. Unfortunately (and for stupid reasons IMO) many makers are getting away from it. :mad:

Penhaligon's English Fern--because it smells like Penhaligon's English Fern. :001_wub:

I almost agree. That's my second choice though. The lather is clearly better than the Blenheim Bouquet which has tallow 5th as opposed to first. It's creamier, thicker, slicker and more protective. The BB is almost airy compared to the EF with tallow first.

My first however has to be Mitchell's. It shaves soooo well. I don't know why. Before I face lathered with it, the lather was always ugly, airy, disappearing, etc., but it was the only soap I got BBS shaves with. My skin was soft after and my razor would just glide through my hair as though it were cutting butter. Now that I face lather, it's got the same properties, except it's also thicker and more cushiony looking (even when it looked flat, I never felt any lack of cushion or slickness though)

Now I do enjoy some none tallow soaps but they don't match the tallow ones. Unfortunately (and for stupid reasons IMO) many makers are getting away from it. :mad:

There is nothing inherently magic about tallow soaps. It's just the fatty acid composition of tallow fats/oils. It should be perfectly possible to make a shaving soap out of 'purified' fatty acids, with the same resultant composition as a tallow soap. This would give you a similar/identical soap, without the tallow 'label'. Now, what those fatty acids were originally derived from :wink:

Henk

+1 on Mitchell's. I prefer tallow overall because it lathers better and I think the cushion it creates is more protective for my skin-type.

Da fat has to be the best tallow based soap. I love harris soaps also, although they are not tallow based they still do have tallow.

Tabac, MWF, T&H Luxury, Williams ... these are the four tallows I've used, in my order of preference.

Tabac wins by a wide margin. Then another wide margin between MWF and T&H.

And BTW, I don't have any trouble lathering any of them.

MWF!!!

It lathers up thick and creamy, moreso than veg based soaps (although I really love some of those too: GFT Rose, CADE, C&E sweet almond). MWF also Provides a slick surface for the blade and really takes care of my skin with the addition of lanolin.

Last edited:
Top Bottom