What's new

single vs multi (against the grain)?

I was wondering if using a DE razor is easier on you than using a multi blade razor.

My reasoning is that a DE safety razor, shaving against the grain, would only cut the hair once, while a multi-blade razor keeps trying to cut the same hairs over again, leading to irritation.

Is my reasoning false? Or is there more to it than what I just thought of.

This is the debate of all time.

Scientists have their theories and reasons for producing multi blades. That is one blade lifts, while the other cuts.

The people (real shavers) have found that running that blade, then another, then another and another (depending on which cartridge you have) over the same area or patch of hair, you'll more apt to irritation.

Granted with a DE, you'll likely do more than one pass, but in different directions.

Carts are meant to have a lift and cut action, though some dispute whether this is just marketing speak.

Given the cart blades are so close together, there's an argument they operate like a single blade, and the only benefit, as Gillette claims, that this reduces pressure on the face.

Although this is offset by the enforcing of pressure by most users, which I did for years, to no ill effects on my skin. Because the blades pivot and have some give, you can shave harder with them. Many people have to do this as they don't find the blades sharp enough anyway. This, and cost, have been my main reason for ditching and switcihng.

I got more irritation from a DE when starting, and that was only due to poor angle and going for too many passes, trying to get too close, too soon. Now, with some improved technique, irriation is gone, and my face feels better for the change (could be placebo though).

Remember those scientists work for Gillette
You mean *gasp* junk science? NO! Say it isn't so!

Remember all the wrinkle creme ads? It you look at the fine print of the study parameters of the active flavinoid, neutroceutical fruit acid hydroxy-enzymes, all the results are actually visual perceptions of improvement of about 30 women primed with freebies for 6 months.

so, my question is if using a DE razor will be more sensitive to use than a cart razor.
Or is it more than likely it will depend.

My neck area in the middle is very sensitive to ATG shaving, and i recently bought a Blue tip super speed, circa 1961 in excellent condition (it hasn't arrived in the mail yet)

So i was just wondering if using a DE razor would help (after i get use to using one of course) would be more gentle shaving against the grain.

I find whatever i use the key factor is pressure, when i was using a cartridge going atg after a wtg pass was always a bit rough on the neck, the same now with a de, i have lately been trying to improve my technique and at the moment only do 1 atg pass a week which is fine, dont know if more practise would allow more regular atg passess, i think a lot depends on your skin/beard type whatever razor you use and this is a idividual thing!

I'm grateful to all of the replys, it helps a lot. More advice would still be accepted. I'm new to wet shaving. I saw a DIGG on mantic59's video on a ten minute wet shave so i thought that it was a very neat thing so i decided to jump on the bandwagon and try something new.

I live in Las Vegas (but I'm moving to california this week) so i went to an AOS store and bought the $100 sandalwood kit (comes with pre-shave oil, cream, pure badger brush, and an aftershave cream). I went on ebay and found a 1961 gillette super speed blue-tip to use, and to my dismay i didn't really need to because i forgot my father had a DE razor, so now i guess I will have two because he gladly gave it to me as a gift.

So i'm off to a good start i think, Iv'e been shaving with my fusion with the sandalwoood kit for now but im going to start using the DE razor.

So thanks for all of the help and keep it coming.

It's definitely easier for me to go against the grain with a two-blade razor than a DE. No question about it.

I don't buy the "lift/cut" hypothesis; I do believe (somewhat) that the two blades (especially in the older cartridges like Trac II and Atra) function like one but that pressure is slightly dissipated because it is spread between the two blades.

Top Bottom