What's new

Tried something great today!

As discussed in a thread I posted a week or so ago, I've been using extra virgin olive oil as a preshave oil. I don't know if what follows has been mentioned in another thread, if it has, my apologies.

Well, today I got a little crazy and on a whim decided to put a few drops of the EVOO in my latte mug (what I lather in) before my first pass. A few more swirls of my Taylor's Rose and off I went.

I'm telling you guys that the blade glided over my skin like nothing I've ever tried. I made 4 passes, that's 2 with the grain (I have a crazy thick beard), 1 cross grain pass, and once over with an against the grain pass.

Now, I'm a rookie and have only been wetshaving for a few months, but WOW! The only thing smoother than the shave itself was my face afterwards.:biggrin:

Anyways, in the event that any of you gentlemen have some EVOO in your cabinets I would encourage you to use it, both as a preshave oil and lather supplement. Let me know if your experience is similar

I've read of a few guys putting oil into their lathers, but not tried it yet.

I think I might try it tonight and let you know how it goes.

As discussed in a thread I posted a week or so ago, I've been using extra virgin olive oil as a preshave oil. I don't know if what follows has been mentioned in another thread, if it has, my apologies.

Well, today I got a little crazy and on a whim decided to put a few drops of the EVOO in my latte mug (what I lather in) before my first pass. A few more swirls of my Taylor's Rose and off I went.

I'm telling you guys that the blade glided over my skin like nothing I've ever tried. I made 4 passes, that's 2 with the grain (I have a crazy thick beard), 1 cross grain pass, and once over with an against the grain pass.

Now, I'm a rookie and have only been wetshaving for a few months, but WOW! The only thing smoother than the shave itself was my face afterwards.:biggrin:

Anyways, in the event that any of you gentlemen have some EVOO in your cabinets I would encourage you to use it, both as a preshave oil and lather supplement. Let me know if your experience is similar

I tried this process, but with Jojoba Oil. It worked great, and my brush is fine! :thumbup1:

M

modern man

I have done it, works well for working up a good lather but I have learned oil hinders my shave.

I my just try it agian because of this Thread.

I have done it, works well for working up a good lather but I have learned oil hinders my shave.

I my just try it agian because of this Thread.

If I use a pre-shave oil applied to face, yes....it does hinder my shave. However, using the Jojoba oil into the lather was markedly different and very effective/ :thumbup1:

Okay, long grain or short? :tongue_sm

4 or 5 this size*:

proxy.php

*Note: Enlarged to show texture

I had recently considered the idea of adding cologne to my cream (specifically, Palmolive), but my reasoning for doing so would only be to enhance fragrance. I have since been directed not to add cologne, as the alcohol in the cologne wouldn't be kind to my face while shaving... which seems very logical. Some have suggested using a drop or two of essential fragrance oil if I am looking to enhance the fragrance. However, your success with Olive Oil may add another benefit to doing so.

On the other hand, I've discontinued the use of pre-shave oil, as it has proven problematic for my brushes. That said, I am very timid about adding the fragrance oil... even though everyone advises that one drop is likely more than enough.

M

modern man

:biggrin: Is their an official unit of measure for this?

Jojoba oil....intersting.

I had recently considered the idea of adding cologne to my cream (specifically, Palmolive), but my reasoning for doing so would only be to enhance fragrance. I have since been directed not to add cologne, as the alcohol in the cologne wouldn't be kind to my face while shaving... which seems very logical. Some have suggested using a drop or two of essential fragrance oil if I am looking to enhance the fragrance. However, your success with Olive Oil may add another benefit to doing so.

On the other hand, I've discontinued the use of pre-shave oil, as it has proven problematic for my brushes. That said, I am very timid about adding the fragrance oil... even though everyone advises that one drop is likely more than enough.

If youre timid about adding scents, try out some of Mama Bear's, or the QED soaps. They are packed with a scent punch.

For those trying this...

I have found that before your first pass and after the initial lather is the best time to add the EVOO and then make a few more swirls for optimal results.

Essentially you:
Swirl.
Add EVOO.
Swirl.
First Pass.

Top Bottom