What's new

Axe Pomade

I picked up some of the Axe Clean Cut pomade a few months back to help tame some unruly beard hairs (yes, I have a beard gents). It worked pretty well. I've used it on my hair, but I wear a hat most of the time (even at work) so it doesn't really matter. When I do go out on the town, I like to use it in my hair. It holds nicely and it resets with a simple combing. I mainly use Vitalis, but I do like the Axe when my hair is longer.

I love their Freeze anti-dandruff, anti-itch shampoo and conditioner. It has a menthol kick, and it really helps with scalp itch and dandruff. I alternate between it and American Crew Citrus Mint.

+1. AXE Hair products are great and cost way less than expensive salon products.

Trust me, I have tried many high-end salon brands : Aveda, Kerastase, American Crew, Hanz de Fuko, Bumble and Bumble, Sebastian, etc.

Axe hair products performed similarly to those, but for a fraction of the price. Axe product's finish is good, and hold depends on the product you use. The Messy look paste was the best performing IMHO : great hold, medium shine. Feels light in your hair and the smell is discreet, clean and fresh (won't interfere with cologne if you wear some).

I find there is no point in buying salon brands anymore. Except that maybe they got a bit better ingredients than drug store pomades, but hey, is it really worth paying 3 times AXE's price for that simple reason?

Hint on a side note : to see if a hair product is water soluble, a good indicator of that often is when the first ingredient on the list is water(aqua). I find I can skip a day of shampooing when using water-based products and simply rinse my hair in the shower and it's enough to get the product off.

I wish Murray's would come out with a pomade that was as strong as what they make now, but is easier to apply than heating up the tin. I am currently using Axe pomade, but because I wear a fedora & sweat a lot, it doesn't have all day hold.

Suggestions?

Thanx!!!
Charlie

Yeah I picked up a small tub of Axe at Walgreens couple years back when I ran out Crew. For $5.00 it wasn't bad, but I think Axe is more geared towards a younger crowd. Plus I didn't really like the smell all that much, a bit too much in your face.

I saw the Dove Men + Care line just came out with a pomade the other day (spotted in Walmart). Anyone tried it yet?

I use Alberto matt wax. It has way more hold than i need, but i like the matt look, and it was $2 on sale. Can't beat that.

The Axe pomade is pretty good stuff. I also am a fan of the Paul Mitchell Tea Tree pomade. The Tea Tree stuff seems to wash out of pillow cases a bit easier then the Axe, though both are not bad in that regard.

My favorite is American Crew Fiber, however, I get little pimple-ish bumps on my head from every hair gel, pomade, fiber, clay, etc I have used. So, I have been trying out natural products. I use Chagin Valley Conditioning Shampoo bar to clean. For styling, the past 3 weeks I have been using Honest Amish Beard Bald Extra Grit. I like it a lot and its all natural. I have been pleasantly surprised with it. Its only negative is that it smells like black licorice for 20 minutes or so. I just ordered an all natural pomade from etsy as well as Honest Amish Original Beard Wax. I will let you know how it goes.

Top Bottom