What's new

Fountain Pen Help

I'm considering getting a fountain pen. I don't write much, so I was to try something cheap. I found several at Avalon Pens for around $20. Any recommendations on a particular pen or should I go to a different site for a better deal?

Thanks,
JLB

I second the recommendation to try a Lamy Safari. Many colors, plastic or aluminum(the Al-Star) body, cartridge or converter use, and a wide range of nibs from EF through Italic (interchangeable too). Some (like me) like the shape and feel, and I keep several around in different places to always have one to use. Some find them too "un-fountain-pen like". YMMV. I especially use them for taking notes or for travel--I don't worry about losing or scratching them.
This is said in the face of being one who also has Auroras, Mont Blancs, Pelikans, Sailors in my rotation.

The only office supply store closer than a hour away is a Staples. I went there today to check out their selection. They had one fountain pen in the whole store. It was made by Parker (don't remember the specific model), but it was over $50, which is a little steep for me being unsure if a fountain is right for me or not. I was tempted by a Cross Tech-3, it's got a black and red ball point, and a pencil in one. There was another Cross got my attention, but right now I'm going to try to focus on finding a fountain. I guess I'll have to break down and order one from the net. Any recomendations from a place to order one from?

www.stylo.ca is a great site. It's a bricks n' mortar operation with a web presence, which means there are actual real people on the other end of the emails, and they've been around forever.

Although it is made for kids, a Pelikan Pelikano Junior is a very smooth writing pen...and very inexpensive.

I second the suggstion on the Lamy and the Pelikano. Also, if you're located anywhere near SE Michigan, try to make it out to the 20th annual Michigan Pen Show, which is October 3, 2009. Both new and vintage fountain pens (and other pens and writing instruments) there in all price ranges, and you can try dozens of them and ask questions. Here's a link for more information: http://www.michpens.com/html/mi_pen_show.html

From a FP user. Go vintage with a parker "51" best writer ever made,
price comperable to safari and holds a ton of ink

Thanks for all the advise. I've been doing some online shopping, and like a lot of the pens out there. I'm not close to Michigan, so that rules out that idea, but I would like to be able to handle the pen before I commited to one. I've been looking at Colorado Pens, and they run sales pretty regular, I'm thinking about trying to buy a "sale" pen to get a higher quailty pen at a "starter" price. Then if I didn't like it, hopefully I could get the smaller amount I pay back out of it to be able to try something else. I do like the Lamy pens though. Any more thoughts will be appreciated.

JLB

From a FP user. Go vintage with a parker "51" best writer ever made,
price comperable to safari and holds a ton of ink

I agree that the 51 is the best fountain pen ever made, and that vintage is the way to go. However, I think it'll be difficult to find a 51 for under $20 (even a 51 Special) in decent shape. I think you're looking more like $40-$50 for a run of the mill aerometric fill (i.e., squeeze filler) Parker 51. That said, it is worth every penny and will last you until the day you die (and last your children for decades after that). I have over 20 51s, from the mundane (which are fabulous writers that I would use every day) to the rare (solid gold caps, rare color barrels like Nassau green). They're like eating potato chips; once you start collecting them, you can't stop.

I've been using a Pilot Knight (in medium) quite a bit lately. At the price point, it's an excellent pen, particularly if you find it on sale, as is sometimes possible.

OK, this leads me to another question. For most pens, I like a fine or extra fine point. Should I start with a fountain in a medium point, or would it be ok to go ahead and get a fine point?

Another shout for the Lamy Safari. Cheap and actually pretty darn nice. I got mine with an EF nib and it writes beautifully (and I'm even left-handed). :biggrin:

OK, this leads me to another question. For most pens, I like a fine or extra fine point. Should I start with a fountain in a medium point, or would it be ok to go ahead and get a fine point?

If anything, for everyday writing, you want a finer point on a fountain pen than on a ballpoint (or rollerball) With a ballpoint, the point size dictates the writing size. With a fountain pen, extra pressure (which you're likely to use at first) will make the lines appear broader than the nib size actually is.

Top Bottom