What's new

Is shaving cream safe to eat?

Stupid question I know but my daughters like watching me shave. I keep my brush away from them but they want to grab it to play with some lather. If I let them it's enevitable they'll try to taste it as it smells nice. Will this do them any harm?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Though I think a small amount on the toungue, with a rinse afterwards under parental observation would not be harmful, and the taste would certainly discourage them from trying it a second time -
Any more than the slightest amount on the tongue could result in some very unusual bowel activity, so I would strongly recommend against it. It is soap, and soap even in small amounts can create some gastrointestinal distress.
Consumption of larger quantities by children can be seriously detrimental to health, and if there is an allergic reaction, could possibly be fatal.
Probably not a good idea, just to be on the safe side.

Last edited:
I once brushed my teeth with my grandfather's Palmolive, thinking it was toothpaste, when I was a kid. I survived. :wink:

My dog got into the bathroom as a puppy and punctured/ consumed two full cans of shaving cream. Don't think of this as me comparing a stinky golden retrieve to your daughters, but aside from what seemed like a hell of a gut ache and a few days of the runs, he was okay :lol:.

Stupid question I know but my daughters like watching me shave. I keep my brush away from them but they want to grab it to play with some lather. If I let them it's enevitable they'll try to taste it as it smells nice. Will this do them any harm?

No offense, but isn't it your responsibility as a parent to make sure that you don't allow them to find themselves in the situation where they can down a gob of shaving cream?

I mean, I understand that kids will be kids, but simply keep them away from it and there won't be any threat present.

No offense, but isn't it your responsibility as a parent to make sure that you don't allow them to find themselves in the situation where they can down a gob of shaving cream?

I mean, I understand that kids will be kids, but simply keep them away from it and there won't be any threat present.
No offense back, but spoken like a true expert who doesn't have any kids? :wink:

Kids can be sneaky, quick with their hands and feet, and squeeze into all sorts of places they can't get out of. All in the time it takes you to bend down and open or close a cupboard door when you didn't even know they were in the same room as you.

They are domestic ninja's.

Responsibility doesn't even get a chance sometimes.

I can see it now, the next box of Williams that I buy will have a "Do not eat" warning in it.

If any of your kids start blowing bubbles out their butt, then you'll know why.

Didn't your mother wash your mouth out with soap? Same thing.

You need to give them a mixture though of both tallow and glycerin based. That way they get their MEAT and VEGETABLES. :biggrin:

Yeesh you people make soap sound like a scary monster!

Soap is non-toxic. And it's less harmful than its equal amount in toothpaste.
Obviously, if they gulp down a tube of Proraso, you should be worried (it still won't kill you but it can make you very very sick), but if they eat a little (only to realize it's terrible), they may get some temporary discomfort but nothing too serious. I mean if soap was a deathly chemical, would hospitals use it to flush your sensitive gastrointestinal organs? ;)

If a soap were toxic there would be an FDA warning on it the size of Texas.

I once brushed my teeth with my grandfather's Palmolive, thinking it was toothpaste, when I was a kid. I survived. :wink:

Did exactly the same with my Dads shave cream when I was about 6 y.o.!

Maybe by eating some Angus your kids will acquire an AD for them later in life?!

Top Bottom