What's new

Old Spice - skin reaction or just alcohol burn goodness?

So I have been going back and forth on Old Spice. I like the scent well enough although it is definitely the "most lingering" and "most projecting" AS I use. My wife claims she doesn't like it at all, although I've caught her admiring the fading vestiges of the scent after a day in the office. She will sniff at me as we snuggle on the couch and ask, "Mmmm, what is that scent?" Lately she's trained her nose to recognize it so even though I know she is admiring it, she knows it is OS and won't mention it because that will encourage me to wear it.

Anyhow, that is not my problem (that's hers :tongue_sm). What I am struggling with is whether I am having a reaction to Old Spice or whether it is just the alcohol burning goodness. Now I am no alcohol-based AS virgin so I know and love the burn (AV, Skin Bracer, Booster's, Clubman, etc.). However, the experience with OS is unique. My face, especially the side-burn area next to my ears and neck turn red for about 5 minutes and I feel a burn for a little while. After 5 minutes I notice things are starting to settle down. Now I have considered that maybe OS has a higher alcohol content than AV, Skin Bracer, Clubman, etc.

However there is one thing that is nagging at me. Recently I acquired a sample of MB Aged Spice soap. I lathered it up and started shaving but I noticed a burning sensation. The next day I just put the soap on my face with no razor and I got the same burning sensation. The burning and redness did not linger just like with OS. Now I know MB doesn't scent the soap with OS but she probably uses similar FOs.

So anyone out there think I might be reacting to a FO in OS? Or does OS's higher alcohol content just mean it will burn more?

It's certainly possible that you're reacting to something other than the alcohol. Have you used Pinaud Bay Rum? That's really the gold standard for alcohol burn. If you have and what you're getting from OS is worse, maybe it isn't the alcohol at all.

Once and a while something like this happens to me. I've found that almost without exception it has something to do with the quality of my shave. Maybe I was thinking about something else and pressed too hard. Maybe I reached a little too much for the BBS. That leads to a nasty burn, but any OS would be the offender.

My advice would be to try a neutral soap with the OS for a while, and then to try your MB Aged Spice with a neutral AS. See what happens. In both cases, keep an eye on your shave too. If you continue to get that burn, maybe there is something in both that gets to you. Hope not--it would be terrible to have to scale back on an AS that you like! Let us know how the experiment goes.

It's certainly possible that you're reacting to something other than the alcohol. Have you used Pinaud Bay Rum? That's really the gold standard for alcohol burn. If you have and what you're getting from OS is worse, maybe it isn't the alcohol at all.

Once and a while something like this happens to me. I've found that almost without exception it has something to do with the quality of my shave. Maybe I was thinking about something else and pressed too hard. Maybe I reached a little too much for the BBS. That leads to a nasty burn, but any OS would be the offender.

My advice would be to try a neutral soap with the OS for a while, and then to try your MB Aged Spice with a neutral AS. See what happens. In both cases, keep an eye on your shave too. If you continue to get that burn, maybe there is something in both that gets to you. Hope not--it would be terrible to have to scale back on an AS that you like! Let us know how the experiment goes.

+1. Make sure you are striving for a comfortable shave--taking off a little skin then throwing on the alcohol will burn AND irritate. Never a good combo.I would try letting the beard grow in for a day or two, then apply your OS. If it is a reaction to the product, your face will react whether you shave or not.

+1. Make sure you are striving for a comfortable shave--taking off a little skin then throwing on the alcohol will burn AND irritate. Never a good combo.I would try letting the beard grow in for a day or two, then apply your OS. If it is a reaction to the product, your face will react whether you shave or not.

Good idea, next weekend I think I'll skip my shave on Saturday and try that on Sunday morning.

Best advice...don't use anything with alcohol in it. Dries out your skin, wrinkles it prematurely. You don't want to look like the guys on this forum, do you? I mean...uhh...

But, alcohol should be avoided. Blah, Blah astringent. Witch Hazel is a nice and natural alternative. Whilst is doth contain a mere slight tiny small percentage of alkeyhaul, it is derived a natural source. And, is in lower concentration.

In short, Witch Hazel is the best aftershave on the friggin' planet. And that's the bottom line. :mad:

Best advice...don't use anything with alcohol in it. Dries out your skin, wrinkles it prematurely. You don't want to look like the guys on this forum, do you? I mean...uhh...

But, alcohol should be avoided. Blah, Blah astringent. Witch Hazel is a nice and natural alternative. Whilst is doth contain a mere slight tiny small percentage of alkeyhaul, it is derived a natural source. And, is in lower concentration.

In short, Witch Hazel is the best aftershave on the friggin' planet. And that's the bottom line. :mad:

Alcohol is actually very good for oily skin. Witch hazel may constrict blood vessels and tissues, but it will do nothing to break down the oils your skin excretes and secretes. Witch hazel has greater astringent properties, and I believe some antiseptic properties, but alcohol splashes are the way to go, especially if they contain glycerin, which helps soften the skin to counteract the drying effects of alcohol.

Alcohol is actually very good for oily skin. Witch hazel may constrict blood vessels and tissues, but it will do nothing to break down the oils your skin excretes and secretes. Witch hazel has greater astringent properties, and I believe some antiseptic properties, but alcohol splashes are the way to go, especially if they contain glycerin, which helps soften the skin to counteract the drying effects of alcohol.

We can agree to disagree. But I am going to call your statement, false. Alcohol is NOT good for oily skin. It will dry your skin out getting rid of the oils, yes. But, your body and skin and glands and pores tend to work overtime to reproduce what it feels is its natural state of oil/ moisture into the skin. What happens is you end up being oilier than when you started. So you start to over dry with more and more alcohol. It's a vicious cycle.

Witch Hazel has natural properties which help to restore the body's natural pH, thus regulating and maintaining the amount of oil it should have. Not dried out, not too oily.

On the plus side of it all, those with oily skin are less prone to wrinkles. Rather, premature wrinkles.

Top Bottom