What's new

Maas on straight razor blades?

I've seen some discussion to the effect that Maas should not be used on straight razor blades. I just purchased a straight [Heljestrand MK23], and the blade is in pretty good shape but does need a bit of cleaning. I've used Maas on DE razors with great sucess. Should I avoid using it to clean this straight edge blade?

As a side note, the scales also need some cleaning. I think they're just ivory-colored celluloid. Any suggestions on what I might use to clean them up?

Thanks.

I've seen some discussion to the effect that Maas should not be used on straight razor blades. I just purchased a straight [Heljestrand MK23], and the blade is in pretty good shape but does need a bit of cleaning. I've used Maas on DE razors with great sucess. Should I avoid using it to clean this straight edge blade?

As a side note, the scales also need some cleaning. I think they're just ivory-colored celluloid. Any suggestions on what I might use to clean them up?

Thanks.

Who the heck told you that? It works great on both blades & scales. Just don't use it on gold wash. It'll wipe it right off. But so will everything else.

Honestly, I don't remember where I read that. I believe it had something to do with the coating Maas would leave on the blade. So you think Mass would work on the celluloid scales too? Interesting. I'll give it a try on an inconspicuous area.

Honestly, I don't remember where I read that. I believe it had something to do with the coating Maas would leave on the blade. So you think Mass would work on the celluloid scales too? Interesting. I'll give it a try on an inconspicuous area.

I know Maas works on celluloid. Works on horn too. But it is a very light cutting polish, so don't expect miracles.

For handles, you might check out Griot's Garage plastic polish. It's specific for plastics, including headlight housings, and is both very fine, and the supporting medium won't dissolve any plastics.

They also have several stages of machine polish designed for paint, at least two hand polishes for paint, and a glass polish. They also have a pencil sander (uses a thin fiberglass rod) that works great for removing a little rust on old straights, including getting the spots between the scale pivot area.

Just to much fun stuff. http://www.griotsgarage.com

For handles, you might check out Griot's Garage plastic polish. It's specific for plastics, including headlight housings, and is both very fine, and the supporting medium won't dissolve any plastics.

They also have several stages of machine polish designed for paint, at least two hand polishes for paint, and a glass polish. They also have a pencil sander (uses a thin fiberglass rod) that works great for removing a little rust on old straights, including getting the spots between the scale pivot area.

Just to much fun stuff. http://www.griotsgarage.com

Had forgotten about that place. Thanks for the link!

I know Maas works on celluloid. Works on horn too. But it is a very light cutting polish, so don't expect miracles.

Does a remarkable job on horn!

As others have noted, it will leave a light coat of polish on the blade. So you have two choices, clean it off with some sort of solvent or buff it off. I like to use a clean buffing wheel on the Dremel. Medium low speed and a very light touch will really make the razor shine.

Does a remarkable job on horn!

As others have noted, it will leave a light coat of polish on the blade. So you have two choices, clean it off with some sort of solvent or buff it off. I like to use a clean buffing wheel on the Dremel. Medium low speed and a very light touch will really make the razor shine.

I remember just wiping it off with a clean section of cloth I used to polish.

Top Bottom