What's new

1912 week for me, anyone else?

I'm going to do a week of shaves with 1912

This will be a first for me

Which blades are better the PAL or the Gem blades at Walgreens( I need to order some Pella's)

Also anyone else use the Gem all the time ??

Thanks

I'm in.
I'm gonna do a twist though. I've been running three shaves with different razors to see how I like each one. My first three were with a Gem 1912. My next two where with an Ever-Ready 1912. I've got a front hinge Ever-Ready in rotation behind that, and I picked up a Junior today.:thumbup1:
I've been using the GEM blades from Walgreens, and they seem to be doing just fine for me.
Let the week begin. :shaving:

I've only used the Ted Pella blades in my SEs and primarily in one of my 1912s. I like your "challenge" as now that I think it over, I realize I've probably not shaved w/1912 two days in a row. Will do so this week!

If so, I just started this morning. Began life on Gillette DEs, switched to Sensors a number of years ago, and found the 1924 I have had on the mantel for years last week. Bought some Personna SE blades at Walgreens, got up my courage, and tried it this morning. Got most of the first pass down before I switched back to the Sensor. My technique is obviously lacking (along with some skin from my cheek), but it did give a satisfying feel - if that makes sense. Not bbs by a long shot, but satisfying. Sorry to say that I did not hear the legendary popping of the whiskers despite two day's growth. Will I try it again? I would say yes, though maybe not tomorrow. I need time to think about how to approach the technique!

I may join you mid week. I've got a nice clean Ever Ready 1912 inbound. Blades on hand. Cool looking razor, I love the fact that they actually shave well and are (at least semi) popular.

Question on blade life, do these (Personna in my case) typically last longer than a DE, about the same, or fewer shaves?

I may join you mid week. I've got a nice clean Ever Ready 1912 inbound. Blades on hand. Cool looking razor, I love the fact that they actually shave well and are (at least semi) popular.

Question on blade life, do these (Personna in my case) typically last longer than a DE, about the same, or fewer shaves?

I've only tried the GEM (Personna) blades from Walgreens, and three shaves seems to be the limit for me personally. By the end of the third shave, I just don't feel like it's cutting as well as it should.
YMMV

I've only tried the GEM (Personna) blades from Walgreens, and three shaves seems to be the limit for me personally. By the end of the third shave, I just don't feel like it's cutting as well as it should.
YMMV

As a baseline, how many do you usually get out of a DE? I typically get more shaves than most, getting 6 shaves on a DE blade so far (I know some only get two or three, some as many as eight). So it may help to know how the two compare for you.

Of course I know this is all subjective, and depends on which blase also.

I don't use the Gem all the time or even most of the time. But I did use the 1912 yesterday and in your honor will use it again today. I have no problem with the Walgreen's Gem stainless. I believe someone mentioned recently they thought they were the same as the Pellas. I never tried them so I can't say.

Len

Last edited:
As a baseline, how many do you usually get out of a DE? I typically get more shaves than most, getting 6 shaves on a DE blade so far (I know some only get two or three, some as many as eight). So it may help to know how the two compare for you.

Of course I know this is all subjective, and depends on which blase also.

I was getting 4 to 5 shaves from an astra de.
of course I would shave with one side till it dulled and then shave with the other side. :blush:
guess i was just bound to be an SE user:lol::thumbup1:

I think they last longer. I typically give up on a DE blade after 3-4 shaves. I'm on day 7 on a Personna Gem blade in my Micromatic today and I got a very good shave.

- Chris

I have no problem with the Walgreen's Gem stainless. I believe someone mentioned recently they thought they were the same as the Pellas. I never tried them so I can't say.

Actually, they are not the same, although those who have tried both feel they shave similar.

Someone in the past posted microscopic photos of the blade edge of both, showing a different grind on the Wal-Greens Gem blades, and the Gem Ted Pella blades, thus they are not the same blade. :thumbup1:

Actually, they are not the same, although those who have tried both feel they shave similar.

Someone in the past posted microscopic photos of the blade edge of both, showing a different grind on the Wal-Greens Gem blades, and the Gem Ted Pella blades, thus they are not the same blade. :thumbup1:

i think bobert paulsen did the comparison finally putting it all to rest.

Top Bottom