What's new

slim adjustable only adjusts to 7

I have a slim adjustable that only goes to 7. When I turn the ring it stops there and won't go all the way up to 9. Doesn't feel like there's any play in it at all...it feels like a hard stop. Any idea what's causing this or if it can be fixed?

Ben

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
It might have been slipped on the clip spring, and already be at 9 when it says 7.
Can you turn it lower than 1?

If I turn it all the way to the left, it only gives me 6 clicks (almost to 7) before it locks up.

Could be overclocked. Push in the spring with the end of a paper clip while on 1 and turn it backwards to 9. If you can now adjust it down to 1 and the adjuster plate drops down below the bottom plate, it wasn't overclocked. If it still clears the bottom plate to make contact with a blade, it was overclocked and your adjustable is now fixed.

Could be overclocked. Push in the spring with the end of a paper clip while on 1 and turn it backwards to 9. If you can now adjust it down to 1 and the adjuster plate drops down below the bottom plate, it wasn't overclocked. If it still clears the bottom plate to make contact with a blade, it was overclocked and your adjustable is now fixed.

Fixed a couple this way.

Is there somewhere that shows this, or describes the parts and how the razor works? I'm pushing in the black piece while on 1, but it won't go backwards to 9.
Ben

+1 on the previous post. If you carefully push in on the indicator, it allows the adjuster to turn past stop.

If you are disassembling a slim, the way you loosen the adjuster all the way is to push in on the indicator each time it reaches stop at 1. When you put it back together, it's the opposite. If you get mixed up when reassembling and turn it past stop one cycle too many, then it won't dial all the way to 9

I'm not sure I explained that very well, but I bet that's the problem.

There's a post somewhere with a link that explains disassembling Fatboys. It's not exactly the same with slims, but it's similar enough that it will help. I'll see if I can find it.

K...I got it to rotate backwards to 9 while pushing in the spring at position 1. Now I can go all the way backwards to 1 and upwards to 9. Here is a picture in the 1 and 9 position. Any thoughts? How do I know if this is correct or if I need to use it one rotation up where it was before (where it stopped at 7)?

I did notice a bunch of green crap in there...probably needs a good soak in something to remove that....

Last edited:
Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner. Let the bubbles set on it for a few minutes and brush with an old toothbrush. Another good trick is to let the head soak in mineral oil overnight.

If you can now adjust it down to 1 and the adjuster plate drops down below the bottom plate, it wasn't overclocked. If it still clears the bottom plate to make contact with a blade, it was overclocked and your adjustable is now fixed.

Can you explain that a little more? I got it turned back down to 9 and now it works fine going from 1-9, but I'm not sure if it's in the correct position or not.

Thanks,
Ben

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Can you explain that a little more? I got it turned back down to 9 and now it works fine going from 1-9, but I'm not sure if it's in the correct position or not.

Thanks,
Ben

In the 1 position, the four little lifter plates should not be below the bottom of the blade holder.
Try soaking it in this stuff for 20 minutes or so. It works wonders in getting rid of "gunk"
Just use a little tupperware container.

Here's a picture of the bars at the 9 position. Adjusting between 1-9 I don't see the bars moving at all. Even if I rotate it back up (to where it stops at 7) I don't see the bars moving during adjustment. Is it just busted, or does it just need a good cleaning?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
It may just be the pic, but that looks kind of low for 9.
I have to leave shortly for a business trip, but hopefully someone else can pick up here to lend you a hand, otherwise I'll try to help when I get back. Sorry for that mate.

R

rainman

It looks like from the "1" and "9" head pictures, that the blade gap is one and the same. Like there is no movement as you adjust the razor.

This is how I fixed one of mine.

Top Bottom