What's new

Sauces- eastern Carolina Vinegar based BBQ sauce

This is an easy classic pulled pork BBQ sauce. Makes 2¼ cups.

· 2 cups good cider vinegar
· ¼ cup brown sugar
· 2 tablespoons of sea salt
· 1 tablespoon of crushed red pepper
· 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper

Combine ingredients and store in refrigerator overnight, serve warm on pulled pork or use it as a basting liquid while cooking.

Enjoy

B&B sauce depository

Eastern Carolina Vinegar based BBQ sauce

The humble Ketchup/catsup/catchup

Sauces- Kansas City style BBQ

Sauces- South Carolina Mustard based BBQ sauce

Sauces- Piedmont region BBQ sauce

Sauces- Northwestern region of North Carolina

Sauces- Orange BBQ Sauce

Sauces- The mysterious white BBQ sauce

Last edited:
That sounds like a great sauce!

The bride actually asked if we could smoke another butt before the weather turned. She's a fan now!

My kids want the "regular" BBQ sauce on pulled pork, but I've been sneaking in pickle juice when they aren't looking...

That's it Jim! I use a lot of this style on pulled pork. Good to splash on other stuff like a salad and grilled veggies or to add moisture if the meat is too dry.

You list the key prime ingrediants, feel free to adjust the quantities to your taste like adding some ground black pepper or a bit more salt. I let mine simmer 15 minutes.

For a northwestern North Carolina flavor add 1 cup of ketchup, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. After simmering, I like to cut this with 1.5 cups of water.

Tom

The beauty of these BBQ sauce recipes is they are just a place to start.

You should make them your own!

The one above does not need cooking unless you wish to serve it immediately.

I make mine just like this although, like Ray, I add some Tabasco too. I don't cook it at all--just make it up in advance. I like to get one of those nice bullet shaped glass vinegar bottles and just mix the sauce right in it. I picked up a quart bottle of vinegar in brown glass at Food Lion for about a buck and, after adding the ingredients and peeling the label, it looks very cool on the table.

One of the better BBQ places around here adds butter to theirs and I like it fine when I eat there. I haven't been able to bring myself to make it at home. Butter on pork just seems like an invitation to death in your sleep.

Last edited:
Thanks, Jim. I have been wanting to try a sauce like that.

There used to be a similar sauce served in northwest Alabama a long time ago. I am talking early 60's, when I was a kid. I haven't had anything like it in decades and I don't go to eastern Carolina very often.

I will make some, soon.

Tim

PS - This appears to be my 3000th post!

I finally remembered, the place was called Woodall's Barbecue in Hartselle, AL. I wonder if it is still there?

What do you mean by "good" cider vinegar. Is Heinz good enough, or are we talking fancier than that?

Tim

The Mustard Base sauce is where it's at. I usually make a few cases around the holidays and always run out. Great stuff. Secret recipe though :)

I finally remembered, the place was called Woodall's Barbecue in Hartselle, AL. I wonder if it is still there?

What do you mean by "good" cider vinegar. Is Heinz good enough, or are we talking fancier than that?

Tim

Tim
That should be fine, some of the discount store brands are cloudy and dont have that good sharp bite. I guess you could make your own as well.

So vinegar based this week and mustard based the next? Nice call, Jim. The Carolinas put out some very nice BBQ.

And Tim, I think Heinz works fine. It's typically what I use when I'm in the mood for pulled pork. I use a tad more brown sugar myself than Jim along with a little black pepper and a splash of Tabasco, but his recipe is a good place to start from and tailor to your tastes. Nicely done, Jim. :thumbup1:

For me, the key to pulled pork is to douse the pickings in the vinegar sauce to the point of refusal while the meat is still hot enough to absorb the liquid well. This means I pick when its just cool enough to not overheat my fingers.

When I did two 8 pound butts a couple of weeks ago, the meat sucked up over a pint of liquid. Sometimes I mix a little water in if the meat is a bit leathery and it looks like the meat will get overly vinegary by the time it's hydrated. A simple eastern Carolina vinegar sauce is key to this, as extraneous, goopy ingredients in the sauce will make the meat too heavy and overly spiced.

Done this way, pulled pork is every bit as awesome as a three wolf moon t-shirt!

Roger

Dousing the meat with vinegar sauce is also really good when you're reheating leftovers. One of my buddies uses Coke, but I think that sauce works fine. Keeps the meat tender.

Vinegar based is what I grew up with since my mother's side of the family lives in the Augusta, GA area. I prefer it over most tomato based sauces. Kansas City sauces taste nasty to me.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I made this sauce about a week ago. It is very good. I think I will add a little more sugar and maybe some Tabasco, next time.

Thanks, again!

Tim

Top Bottom