What's new

New Bokers

They've always struck me as way overpriced. I remember Joel wrote a withering review of one the new Bokers, and titled it, "A Wacker by any other name is still a Wacker." His experience with the build and finish quality wasn't that positive. I'd rather buy one of the new TIs knowing they have had continuous expertise making razors and seem to have resolved some old quality control problems.

s.

Its pretty common for a company that went defunct or stopped a product line to have either the line resurrected or the name be resurrected. I'm not saying the product isn't quality but there is really no relationship to the original product. So if you buy a new Boker thinking its the same as the vintage ones you'd be mistaken.

Well, I am not fooled into thinking these are the "same" as the older Bokers, but I don't think the King Cutter is over priced when bought from SRD. At $120, free shipping and TWO honings included it seems quite reasonable.

So I ordered one.

I am putting some trust in Don and Lynn doing the right thing. I did read Joel's review. That was pretty devastating, but was for a different razor and a couple of years back. I will of course examine the razor carefully when it comes and if there are problems -- warped blade or scales, etc. will send it back, but I have higher hopes. :001_smile

Well, I am not fooled into thinking these are the "same" as the older Bokers, but I don't think the King Cutter is over priced when bought from SRD. At $120, free shipping and TWO honings included it seems quite reasonable.

So I ordered one.

I am putting some trust in Don and Lynn doing the right thing. I did read Joel's review. That was pretty devastating, but was for a different razor and a couple of years back. I will of course examine the razor carefully when it comes and if there are problems -- warped blade or scales, etc. will send it back, but I have higher hopes. :001_smile

It'd be interested to see how this razor compares to the Hart Steel razor for $240... *subscribes*

Got my new Boker today and just shaved with it.

It is a good shaver, but I don't know if that is more a testament to the razor or to Lynn's honing skills! It did give me a BBS at one place on my neck where that is difficult and I wasn't even trying to push it -- just did an "easy" shave.

One disappointment was the scales. I wasn't expecting much, but they are simple black plastic, fairly flexible. To be fair, they are just as pictured. I did have a slight hope they would be a little more substantial.

Another disappointment is the loose fit of the blade at the pivot pin. The razor will flop open if held blade downward and will flop closed if held upright with the blade open less than about 45 degrees.

Bottom line: Decent razor but nothing exceptional. No gimps (again as advertised). Simple cardboard "coffin" whereas Dovos at the same price come in a metal case. Rescaled it would be very nice. So I got exactly what was advertised but there is nothing to make me say "Wow! Better than I expected!"

Last edited:
Got my new Boker today and just shaved with it.

It is a good shaver, but I don't know if that is more a testament to the razor or to Lynn's honing skills! It did give me a BBS at one place on my neck where that is difficult and I wasn't even trying to push it -- just did an "easy" shave.

One disappointment was the scales. I wasn't expecting much, but they are simple black plastic, fairly flexible. To be fair, they are just as pictured. I did have a slight hope they would be a little more substantial.

Another disappointment is the loose fit of the blade at the pivot pin. The razor will flop open if held blade downward and will flop closed if held upright with the blade open less than about 45 degrees.

Bottom line: Decent razor but nothing exceptional. Rescaled it would be very nice.

Have you had many blades honed by Lynn? Personally, I think he does a really good job.

Have you had many blades honed by Lynn? Personally, I think he does a really good job.

One other. A Dovo Black Star. Nice razor, but it was one of my first and I probably messed it up with my newbieness. (nice word, huh?) I have since re-honed it myself and it shaves well but not as nicely as the new Boker.

Top Bottom