What's new

First shave / 2 Noob Q's /

I did a search for both, think I have my answer on 1, need an answer on the other.

Equip: Gillette Adjustable: ~1962 I think (Set on 1 for now)
Crap in a can till I can get out and grab some cream and a brush.

First issue (Known resolution?): And a question
My Blade is not flat / paralell to the head. From what I read I need to bend back the metal tab that's on the blade per teh below link.. seems like an easy fix..

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=100227

How much does this effect the razors performance? Since I"m new to this should I not mess with it?

Second Q:
I"m currently using the Derby blades that I got in the sampler, as it seems that there are a lot of users so figured I'd use as a good starting point.

I notice that there are numbers 1-4 on the blade. What do these mean, should I be paying attention to them for orientation?

My experience:
Like many others, I"m tired of tossing $8-15 at Gillette all the time for blades that clog up if I dont' shave every day / every other day. So after taking the advice of my 2 brothers, I decided it was DE time.

I liked shaving, it wasn't complicated, and I think it felt better than shaving with my cartridge (maybe because I tend to use my blades for way to long to curb expenses, especially if it's the last blade in the pack)

I had very mild burn around my jawline, and only 3-4 nicks, I figure that's pretty good for a beginner, and can only get better right? My face came out GEFG (Good enough for Government) My wife tought it was pretty smooth, and that's all that counts. Still need some practice around the jawline though, it's a little trickier than cheeks.

Thanks for the Forum guys... I'm sure I'll continue to read and have a good time reading other's opinions and experiences.

Welcome to B&B, Mr. White. You'll find your scotch over in the speakeasy. :biggrin:

Q2: The numbers maen nothing. They're for manufacturing.

Q1: I'm hesitant to advise without seeing a picture of what you're talking about -- if you're talking about the blade flexing, that's normal. If you're talking about your razor being bent out of shape, that's actually pretty easy to mess up (moving one part shifts about three others, etc.). As you face the exposed blade part of your razor, is the gap between blade and safety bar bigger on one side than the other? If so, it's a bent razor issue. If not, I'm not sure I see a problem (unless the entire blade is resting on the safety bar with no gap, but that's easily fixed in the slim by adjusting up, not bending the razor!).

Pic is here now..
Sorry I was at work and coulnd't attach the picture..
You can see that the edge of the doors slopes upwards as you move to the right. I can kind of push down a little bit on the side that is a little higher and it evens out. I don't know much but it does not appear to be a safety bar issue now that I look at it at home..

Thanks for the help
-salad

Does the edge of the blade end up parallel to the safety bar regardless?

Is the problem door loose (does it rattle if you tap it)?

- Chris

The edge of the blade paralells the slight angle of what you see pictured the gap between it and the safety bar increases as you move to the right.

If I tap directly on the door it clicks a litlte, but no rattle.. if I shake the razor or tap on anything else it does not rattle... It seems to close pretty tight and the blade doesn't seem to move once things are closed down.

Based on the pic (thanks!) and your description I'll conform your diagnosis. It's not an easy fix, though. The thread you've found is the best guidance I can think of. Good luck!

so my best bet is to toss another 15 at another adjustible?
As I stated I don't think it's the saftey bar it appears that the doors are slanted if I put slight pressure down on the door or if I raise the low side up a little it evens out..
I may just clean and see if there's any gunk preventing the head from being at the right height.

so my best bet is to toss another 15 at another adjustible?

At this point, probably so. You can always revisit the bent one after you've perfected your technique with a good specimen. You're right in noting that the issue isn't just the safety bar -- it's a pretty classic sign of a dropped razor -- since everything's connected, one impact affects the entire head (bar, baseplate, doors, etc.).

Top Bottom