What's new

Getting my feet wet!

..er face I guess you could say :tongue_sm

Ive been a fusion shaver forever it seems. No matter what I seem to get razor burn on my neck. So I want to make the switch to a DE. Basically Im having trouble deciding which DE is best to start with. Im in Canada so prices are higher and my worry is Im going to drop $50 on a razor and be unhappy with the results.

Seems like the M34C is the go to razor. Problem is I cant seem to find one lol. fendrihan is out of stock on them, plus they're $51. I know, its not really a lot for a razor, but for a newb looking to get into it, it sort of is.

Fendrihan seems to be one of the best when buying online in Canada

Looked at the Weishi Classic. Its cheap. reviews are mixed. great for newbies cause its mild, and bad for newbies cause its mild. talk about confusing lol

Middle ground looks like some Parkers, but everything Ive read says they're super aggressive. Thats scared me away from them.

then we have the Merkurs. the 33C seems reasonably priced at $38. The 23C @ $41 & the classic 1904 @ $36. Really these are all too close so $$ isnt the issue, but I'm just unsure which route to go.

Unsure about the Edwins.

So, Im probably over complicating things lol. But any advice would be great appreciated :)

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Why don't you look in the BST here? A very decent vintage Gillette can be had for the price of the el cheapo Weishi or Parker, at about 100 times the quality.
Some folks don't ship out of CONUS, but most will if the postage difference is covered (it's only a few bucks difference to Canada).

Your best off with getting either a Merkur or an Edwin Jagger if you're planning on getting a new razor from Fendrihan. I can't say from personal experience whether or not the Weishi is a good razor or not, it just tends to get a mixed reaction around here, which is kind of odd if you ask me considering I believe its basically nothing more than a Gillette Super Speed, which gets a lot of love around here, clone of sorts. And the Parkers can be fine razors from what I hear, but they're quality control has been less than stellar in the past, if you get my drift.

..er face I guess you could say :tongue_sm

Ive been a fusion shaver forever it seems. No matter what I seem to get razor burn on my neck. So I want to make the switch to a DE. Basically Im having trouble deciding which DE is best to start with. Im in Canada so prices are higher and my worry is Im going to drop $50 on a razor and be unhappy with the results.

Seems like the M34C is the go to razor. Problem is I cant seem to find one lol. fendrihan is out of stock on them, plus they're $51. I know, its not really a lot for a razor, but for a newb looking to get into it, it sort of is.

Fendrihan seems to be one of the best when buying online in Canada

Looked at the Weishi Classic. Its cheap. reviews are mixed. great for newbies cause its mild, and bad for newbies cause its mild. talk about confusing lol

Middle ground looks like some Parkers, but everything Ive read says they're super aggressive. Thats scared me away from them.

then we have the Merkurs. the 33C seems reasonably priced at $38. The 23C @ $41 & the classic 1904 @ $36. Really these are all too close so $$ isnt the issue, but I'm just unsure which route to go.

Unsure about the Edwins.

So, Im probably over complicating things lol. But any advice would be great appreciated :)

From what I've seen here, the Weishi have quality control problems. Some are fine, others are a mess and many are just poorly/cheaply made. IMHO, yes you will spend a bit more on a Merkur, but it will be worth it to have a quality instrument to use. If you should find that DE shaving isn't for you (or you move on the a str8), the Merkur will resell easily. I recommend the HD, the classic, or the 1904. Don't mess with the adjustables at this point in the game. Oh, and you should be able to get one of those merks for under $30 if you look around.

OTOH, our buy/sell/trade often has good prices on merks or on Superspeeds. You can't go wrong with a Superspeed either, but I find the Merkur (classic) more to my liking (the head is smaller and easier to maneuver).

Edwins are nice, but you're paying a lot more for the style and the name; I'm not sure that really adds anything in terms of the experience or in the quality of the razor.

I've shaved with both a Weishi and Merkur. If your a bit iffy about jumping into shaving, you would probably be best getting a vintage Gillette instead of the weishi. I thing the Merkur is a great choice to start with. I love mine to death and have been enjoying learning the tricks of the trade with it, plus it feels like a real razor as opposed to the Weishi.

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome guys :) And thanks for the help. You've made some excellent points and given me some more to consider :)

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome guys :) And thanks for the help. You've made some excellent points and given me some more to consider :)

Traditionally, after all the well deserved praise for the Merkur, I like to mention the competitor, the wonderful R89:

proxy.php

found in the Muhle webshop and yours for under 50 USD.

... and did I already mention the Gillette Super Speed?

Last edited:
Welcome! See the can o'worms you opened? :biggrin: I suggest the HD. It was my first, and still the one I use most today (after trying many, many others...).

An even better suggestion, though: just pick something. Do it now. Cause when that razor finally arrives, you'll wonder what took so long for you to procure one. :wink:

Welcome to B&B. I get my best shave from a Merkur 33c with Feathers. I think any of the Merkur razors recommened by the posters would be a great starting point. Best of luck.

Hi Roscopcoletrain

If you want to try a Gillette tech (some brasing, triangular slot) and a pack of Derby (forgiving blade) pm me your address i can send you one.
Marc

Thanks to this site I finally dumped my cartridge razors (or am about to). I've been using a brush for years, but after reading an MSNBC article on wet shaving I've decided to make the switch to a DE.

Nice to find this site and all the informative posts.

It led me to Fendrihan's where I've just purchased:

Merkur 12C Barber Pole Open-Comb Classic Razor
Razor Blades Sampler: Feather, Astra, Merkur and Derby
Col. Conk Styptic Pencil (just in case!)
Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Aftershave Gel

Thanks to all for all the info.

Cheers,

NV

Last edited:
Top Bottom