What's new

inconsistent lather...

some days I get phenemonal lather and other days it's too soupy or too dry. my procedure is the same but I'm just not consistent. suggestions about that?

what I really hate is COLD lather. I think that may be where I'm going wrong - I have a tendency to add too much hot water or not shake the brush enough because I don't want cold lather. am using boiling hot water from a hot pot, soaking the brush and the shave mug w/hot water while I shower, working the brush on the soap and then building lather in the shave mug. somedays it's great but somedays it is just not. ideas?

Load your brush and face lather. Start dry and dip the tips in warm water as you go. You should get excellent results and your beard will be well prepared.

Load your brush and face lather. Start dry and dip the tips in warm water as you go. You should get excellent results and your beard will be well prepared.

more on how to "face lather"? start with a dry brush or start with a dry face or both?

Ya I guess that wasn't very clear. Do your normal prep and soak your brush. When you are ready, let most of the water out. I go as far as a good squeeze since boar brushes absorb water. Next work the puck. You should notice virtually no heavy suds, a small amount of moisture, and a thick paste building. Make sure your face is wet and start working the lather. It will be thin, dry, and tacky. Dip just the tips in warm water and continue until you have a thick, moist, slick, and cushy lather. About 45 sec to a minute usually works for me on the initial lather. The rest are faster.

Sounds like you could use a scuttle.... If you use boiling water in this you will have HOT lather for 4 passes easy.

proxy.php

I've been leaning towards a mix of making some lather in a bowl, but mostly face lathering, and using a brush scuttle. The bowl lather is just the starter, not a complete lather--I finish on my face. If I need more, I go back to the cold bowl. Meanwhile, the brush stays warm in the scuttle. Unfortunately, I broke the optional little bowl that came with my dirty bird brush scuttle. The reason I like part in the bowl is that I need more lather than fits in the brush, and the lather kind of breaks down in a hot brush scuttle. I also find it easier to get the perfect lather on my face than in a bowl--it's much easier to correct it and adjust for each pass than doing it in a bowl.

Guess I don't do much of anything in a straight forward way. I also shave partly using method shaving techniques, but not completely. Mix and match works for me.

Last edited:
Sounds like you could use a scuttle.... If you use boiling water in this you will have HOT lather for 4 passes easy.

proxy.php

sounds like a scuttle is what I need but wow, they are pricey!

is that a "double bowl" system? so you get the heat of the hot water without having the hot water in the bowl with your soap making everything runny... genius.

Last edited:

is that a "double bowl" system? so you get the heat of the hot water without having the hot water in the bowl with your soap making everything runny... genius.

In the greater scheme of things in this hobby it's really not that much money. Start with the regular size for about $40ish. I have razors that cost more than twice that.

I guarantee one of two things to happen.. Buy one and you'll love and want to keep it Or If you don't like it post it for sale in the B/S/T and it will be gone in a flash.

I have Georgetown and a DirtyBird. The DB easily outperforms the GT.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

Yep.
They can be pricey. But...
Hot Lather.

Top Bottom