What's new

Any brandy drinkers?

Hey everyone! I really enjoy sipping a lot of different types of scotch whiskey as I relax. However, my wife and I are not very familiar with any Brandies and would like to try some. Anyone have any suggestions on some that are "decently" prized to try?

Well, there is a wine store in Kensington, CA that had some Cognac for $19.99 a bottle that was actually very very good. Amazingly good, actually, for the price. Obviously, this is a beverage where the high end just keeps going up and up. But the store owner said this was the best he had ever had for under $50, and better than a lot that cost more.

Unfortunately, I have not seen it anywhere else, and cannot for the life of me remember the name, or any other identifying information. So I am just spinning a rather un-entertaining yarn that serves not real purpose other than driving me ever so slightly closer to leaving the ranks of the Fusion Flunkies.

-Mo

Well, there is a wine store in Kensington, CA that had some Cognac for $19.99 a bottle that was actually very very good. Amazingly good, actually, for the price. Obviously, this is a beverage where the high end just keeps going up and up. But the store owner said this was the best he had ever had for under $50, and better than a lot that cost more.

Unfortunately, I have not seen it anywhere else, and cannot for the life of me remember the name, or any other identifying information. So I am just spinning a rather un-entertaining yarn that serves not real purpose other than driving me ever so slightly closer to leaving the ranks of the Fusion Flunkies.

-Mo

And on that note...I think its getting late. :lol:

Michael, just my 2 cents. I'm a big whisk(e)y fan. And a few months ago I took a little journey into good brandies. I honestly didn't care for them, just too sweet, especially if you're a Scotch drinker, which I am as well, I'd stay that route. YMMV. You can always look into bourbon, Argonauts in Denver as well as Applejacks both have excellent Scotch and bourbon selections. But they also have excellent brandy selections as well.

If you're a Scotch drinker, which I am as well, I'd stay that route.

I think you have a point here. I am cognac drinker but also occasionally drink single malts. Although I don't hate them, I really didn't get to a level of a real appreciation of the drink. And this is probably true for a whiskey drinker drinking cognac or brandy.

In case you still want to try, stick to well-known names and $35+ price tag. Otard VSOP could be a good match for a Scotch drinker (smoky character).

Not all cognacs are sweet

Those from the Grande Champagne region are generally drier than those from the Borderies.

You can't go wrong with Delamain Pale & Dry

Thats what I was kind of wondering myself. I had been told that before.

I don't know. I am a scotch drinker myself and have really enjoyed a glass of cognac, now in then. I kinda love variety, though. I have little experience, but the majority that I've tried were not really sweet at all.

- Mo

Also after you've had two or so, call it quits, even if you don't feel intoxicated your taste buds may be shot. It's best to just start afresh the next day.

M

modern man

See if you can find any mini bottles at your liquor store or try a good bar. It's still pricey, but at least you won't be stuck with a full bottle of something you can't stand.

Stuck with liquor you don't want?

Send them to me (for experimentation purposes of course :lol:).

Top Bottom