What's new

May the Gods of Straight Shaving forgive me...

but I am considering to add a DE to my rotation, just for the experience. Am not sure that it's the best idea, but I will worry about this later.

My question now here to all Masters of DE here on B&B: which DE should I consider, keeping in mind that I am a novice in this art of shaving?

I was looking at some DE's on rasurpur.de (Martin, the owner, did some honing jobs for me as well as supplied me with a couple of my straights) and I was admiring the "Traditional Safety Razor 1904" (link: http://www.rasurpur.de/english/shop/shop.html) What are the thoughts on this one? And should I consider open or closed comb?

My mind is of course not firmly set on the above model, therefore any other suggestions are most welcome.

In advance, thanks for the input!
Cheers,

Jeff

The 1904 is attractive and works fine for many (I suggest open comb, but that's personal preference). I prefer a slightly heavier razor, so the HD is my usual suggestion. Let us know what you decide!

Why don't you hit up the BST here and pick up a vintage razor. Lots of great shavers to be had for a song.

I don't think its possible to go to DE after skipping over it and going straight to straight. I tried it with a vintage Gillette. No dice. Shave felt harsh and no fun.

edit:

I agree with the below post 100%. :biggrin:

Last edited:
L

Lo'Tek

This is something I have also seriously considered - NOT !

I have thought about a Rolls though; that's as close as I get.

Well, I went back from straight. Well, sort of. I mean, I added the DE into my circulation. I really do enjoy all of it. It's kinda like never using a soap because another is better. Mix it up. Just don't expect it to be better. But it is FASTER, and also easier to travel with. It'll prevent you from having to go disposable when you are flying. At least without checking your luggage.

Well, I went back from straight. Well, sort of. I mean, I added the DE into my circulation. I really do enjoy all of it. It's kinda like never using a soap because another is better. Mix it up. Just don't expect it to be better. But it is FASTER, and also easier to travel with. It'll prevent you from having to go disposable when you are flying. At least without checking your luggage.

Thank you, Ron Gallant. My thinking exactly. I have no intention of giving up straights - ever. Just love them too much. But I am curious to see and to experience how a DE shaves and would like to also include one in my rotation of 4 straights.

Additionally, I have some days where I need to get up and be at work in a hurry, preferrably shaved, and I am very reluctant to get a disposable for those days. And the result with one of days, well, let's not talk about that..

And finally, even though there is, in general, a slight chance that I might be a little bit out of my mind (and honestly, life is much more fun this way and it feels great :), I am a bit surprised at some other comments in this thread, even though they are meant well. The majority of users here on B&B seem to be DE enthusiasts and I cannot believe they would be as passionate about their shaves and their tools as Straight shavers are (and let's be honest, we are pretty serious about our tools, aren't we..?) if the result would not be good. I agree that a proper straight shave is near impossible to better with anything else but DE's do seem to provide a result good enough to qualify as a very decent shave.

Now, my question to the DE Aficionados: which DE razor and blades can be recommended for a Beginner. Are all the blades similar or are some better depending on various factors. E.g. all of my straights are 1/4 hollow or wedge, as I have quite coarse facial hair, similar to a wire brush, and I learned that those razors work best for me.

Why don't you hit up the BST here and pick up a vintage razor. Lots of great shavers to be had for a song.
Thanks, Gerwen. I will do just that!

Cheers,

Jeff

Last edited:
This is something I have also seriously considered - NOT !

I have thought about a Rolls though; that's as close as I get.

Yep, Rolls Razors are just basically a straight on a stick with a safety bar. The whole system works quite well if you get yourself a fully intact razor, and they shave pretty nicely to boot.

I use a straight 70% and safety razors the other 30%. Like the other posts, sometime I have to shave faster, other times I just like the variety.

I've also found that if you use a SE safety razor like a Gem or Ever Ready, they are closer to a straight so there is less of a transition.

I use a straight 70% and safety razors the other 30%. Like the other posts, sometime I have to shave faster, other times I just like the variety.

I've also found that if you use a SE safety razor like a Gem or Ever Ready, they are closer to a straight so there is less of a transition.

Thanks, studioguy. I will have a look at SE's as well. There seem to be a lot of Gem's and such on the BST also.

Now, my question to the DE Aficionados: which DE razor and blades can be recommended for a Beginner. Are all the blades similar or are some better depending on various factors. E.g. all of my straights are 1/4 hollow or wedge, as I have quite coarse facial hair, similar to a wire brush, and I learned that those razors work best for me.
I'm still a noob when it comes to wet shaving, but that also means I'm familiar with noob advice. Merkur HD and gillette super speed or tech are oft recommended first shavers. They're also good enough to be your primary DE. Red tip SS's are held to be more agressive (for tougher beards) as are slants. Neither is generally recommended for a noob, however coming from straights I'd imagine you'd have an easier time than most. For blades, I'll sing the de refrain... Get a sampler pack. Feathers are widely agreed to be the sharpest, so get a sampler with them in it. I'd recommend you start with Derby's though, milder, but still good. Hone your technique on them or others then move up to the sharpest ones. With blades, everyone is different, so ymmv.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Mmm, a 1904 is a great reazor. As suggested, a Merkur HD might be a bit better.

You could go open comb if you like. I prefer open comb myself but, that's just me. I'm going the other way around at the moment, DE to straights!

That is Merkur 1904 safety razor. You can have it much cheaper in places that sell razors with their own name instead trying to hide the maker. Like from John's site:
http://westcoastshaving.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=51

I don't have that razor, but you can sure search from the forum threads some more information. I remember that it was told of being nickel plated unlike the other Merks.
Kiitos paljon, Jarmo! You just saved me several Euros... And WestCoastShaving does seem to have a nice selection..

Jeff

As you are a straight shaver, I would suggest you look into the Slant.
It's about as aggressive and close as you can shave, without using a straight.

+1 I've bought a Gillette NEW at a different shaving forum and it was a steal.

Try the DE, it's as much fun as picking up a straight the first time. Though the learning curve is obviously not as long, for the most of us that is.

As you are a straight shaver, I would suggest you look into the Slant.
It's about as aggressive and close as you can shave, without using a straight.

Funny, I find the straight to not be aggressive at all. I mean, if you push it, yeah, it'll bit you. But they are less harsh on your face. The blades are not as sharp and steep an angle as the DE blades. So it doesn't tend to give razor burn as bad. Of course, if you use a lite touch with either, you will get a great shave.

+1 on a sampler, skip new razors. From one SR user to another, I am sure you will appreciate the history of the vintages as well as their awesome shaves.

Enjoy as much about this hobby (passion, sickness) as you can.

Top Bottom