What's new

Just call me Scar-Sandpaper-Face

I am not a young man by any means, and actually began mowing down the whiskers in my path along life's journey while still a teenager with an old hand-me-down Gillette DE from my dad and a can of Foamy from the local drug store. I did this for a few years until my mother bought me my first Philishave triple-header (they're referred to as "Norelco" in the USA) so I could simply buzz off my young peach-fuzz every morning. I have since had three more triple-headers and still use them every morning so I don't look too rough when I arrive to start my day's work.

I occasionally still wet-shaved from time to time, but never really felt secure with the technique, so I tended to stick to the electric for my daily needs. Over time, I've tried single-blade Bic disposables, multi-bladed cartridge units, and sometimes even the good old DE. I long ago lost my old first Gillette DE (good solid metal piece that it was, which unscrewed at the top to put the blade on, then you screwed it down firmly again before setting to work - not like the crappy plastic ones that came out later), but I bought one or two blister-packed cheapies in the drug store (including a pack of blades) when you still could. Funny thing about that: you haven't been able to buy a DE in the drug store for a long time, but you can almost always find that lonely little pack of DE blades in the corner among the Fusion, Quattro, Mach III, and Atra refills!

Finally, just over a year ago, my wife and I were headed down to Southern California to visit my parents for Christmas (here in Canada, folks like them who spend the cold half of the year down south are known as "snowbirds"). I happened to hear about a barber shop there which still did the good old straight-razor shave and I got curious about it once more. Here, barbers long ago hung up or threw away their "cut-throats" and stops and I couldn't get a shave here anywhere. Just about everybody I asked said (in a hushed whisper), "Something about health regulations...AIDS scare". Since I'm a reasonably well-informed person, I wondered how you could get such a deadly disease from something as simple as shaving, so I had my doubts as to this excuse. Is it really possible? I'm not convinced.

I got brave and booked an appointment with this guy in California. When we got down there, I laid down in the chair and let this rather young guy do his magic. On came the hot towels, one after the other. On came the lather (from a hot-lather machine) time and gain. Finally, he took out what I later found out was a Dovo Shavette (straight razor with disposable blades, so each customer gets a fresh one) and got going. It took quite a while and some apprehension, but when I got up out of the chair and looked in the mirror, then felt my face, I was amazed! It was as smooth as it had been when I was five years old, and so clean. It even lasted two days!

In the past few months, I have seen such things online as B & B, Wetshavers, and good old Corey Greenberg's blog of his experiences with wet shaving. I knew I had to give it another try. I first used an old, cheap plastic DE I had lying around (plus some Edge gel), and cut my face to shreds. Where it wasn't bleeding, it was just red from razor-burn. Then I got a Shick Quattro (4 blade cartridge) and tried it. I got better results with that, but still some cuts. All this time, my longsuffering wife was actually trying to get me to give up this insanity and just stick with the electric.

Finally, I thought I would plunge right into the Classic Shaving Experience and get some of the proper equipment. I had heard great things about the Schick Injector, so I wanted to go that way (especially after all my bad DE efforts), and not bother with the DE anymore. After some misfires, I scored an early 1950s Schick G8 Injector. I found some genuine Schick Injector blades online and waited patiently for them to arrive. At a local drug store, I bought a Wilkinson Sword boar brush for about $20. I had heard that Proraso shaving cream was really good, so I scoped out our local Italian Supermarket and came home with two green tubes. I bought a small bowl otherwise used for French onion soup at one of those home-kitsch big-box stores to mix lather in. I thought I was all set until I tried to shave.

It turns out that I've gotten somewhat better with the technique, but there's still something that I'm doing wrong. I quit using the name-brand Schick blades in favor of trimmed-down Feather Pro Supers, but every time I do a shaving session with the above-mentioned gear, I almost always get nicks in the same places: on the right and left side of my "moustache" area (i.e. under my nose, above my upper lip, to either side of what I call the "Hitler area"), on my chin right and left and below the "soul-patch zone", and on my neck, either on my Adam's Apple, or on the sides, under my ears. I also can't get smooth enough under my jawline and right in front of my ears, where sideburns would grow if left alone.

Finally, here's my basic technique: I shower and blast my face with the warm water a bit. When I come out, I don't dry my face. I warm the bowl, wet the brush, squirt in some Proraso, and make some lather. I add a drop or two of water to whip it up nicely but not too thick.

I lather my face once and put a hot towel on it for about 30 seconds. I wipe off the lather with the towel and put on more lather and the reheated towel (microwaved for one minute, it comes out about the same as at the barber's). I lather once more, take up the razor, and get going. I start with a basic N-S pass everywhere, except for the upper lip/under nose and the front of my chin. I try to stretch the skin for the "sideburn" zones and for the previous two areas, as well as under my chin, because the razor always seems to catch on some loose skin there as it comes down around my chin onto my neck. I rewet my face and put on more lather, then do a second pass in roughly the opposite direction. Finally, I try to do some touching-up on the areas which still feel rough. After that, I give up, splash cool water on my face to remove the lather, apply the styptic pencil to the wounds, let them dry a bit, pat my face dry with another towel, and then put on some Neutrogena Razor Defense lotion. That's my wetshaving technique.

As far as I know, my method is sound, but there seem to be some problems yet. I don't think I would go so far as to give up, feeling that a single blade just can't shave you as cleanly as a multi-blade setup will, or that it's totally impossible to get through one shave without any cuts whatsoever. I think that maybe I'm pressing a tad too hard, tilting the razor a bit so either the blade isn't contacting my face or the bar is not straight-on to my skin, I'm taking too long strokes (probably a holdover from my multi-blade technique), or I don't use enough passes in the proper direction. I won't quit, but I'd like to know if I'm actually doing this right. Yes, I have seen the videos on youtube, but I am optimistic that it is indeed possible to get a good wet shave - I just don't want to spend the rest of my life acquiring the knack!

I should also mention that I only do this on weekends because I am sure that going too fast can only lead to trouble (so it's better to wait until there's plenty of time, like on Saturday and Sunday mornings). The rest of the time, I use the electric.

Sorry about the long post (especially for a new member), but I did want to share my experience and hopefully get some feedback so I can better at it.

Excellent introduction -- welcome to B&B!

Your story makes me wonder how many promising wet-shavers have never discovered the joy, due to their mother's gift of a Norelco. The fist time I ever shaved, it was without fatherly supervision. My high school drama teacher informed me that I had to get rid of the "peach fuzz" to put on stage makeup for the next day's dress rehearsal. I went home, got out dad's DE and cream, and proceeded to massacre my face. Mom glared at my blameless dad at dinner that night, and finally said, accusingly "did you see what your razor did to my son's face?" That Christmas found a shiny new Norelco under the tree. Luckily, I just never really liked the thing, and went on to wet shaving after moving on to college...

Welcome furnaceman !
Hopefully, in time, you will be able to shave with the DE fast enough so you can dump the electric:scared: razor out the door.

Furnaceman (name??),

Welcome to B&B :badger:..

Well, lets start from the get go. Your technique is sound, but you need to tweak some things. First and foremost let me warn you that, and this is not an insult whatsoever, but as a newbie to the wetshaving art, you've picked a very aggressive blade in the Feather brand. Feathers are fantastic and I use them daily, but they are extremely unforgiving and if your technique is lacking tad bit, the Feather is going to let you know pretty darn quick: hence your war wounds on your face. Given the places you said that you're getting nicked up, it makes sense that you're experiencing problems.

Ok, first of all: you're correct about the pressure--use none of it. No pressure at all, let the razor do the work. It does not need your help.

Secondly, you need to make sure that you're getting plenty of good lather worked up. Proraso is a great brand that gives excellent quality shaves, so you're good there. Make sure you're not getting it too runny, it needs to be nice & thick to give the proper lubricity which will protect your skin against razor burn.

Thirdly, if you're getting a lot of razor irritation and really getting cut up, try to get your N-S pass down without any bleeding first, then move onto against the grain S-N pass. Just take it real easy and get it down to the point of not seeing any bloody spots going with the grain. Again, the Feather blade requires absolutely zero, zero pressure. If you try and over compensate, you're gonna slice & dice yourself real nice with the Feather.

Another thing you may want to do is try a pre-shave oil, if you're face is as coarse as you say it is (which I'm sure it is) adding extra lubrication to it before you apply the cream will help as well. Others have tried extra virgin olive oil on the face that will work just fine as well if you don't want to go out and buy a fancy schmancy pre-shave oil from a big name.

One last point, take the shave slow. Use short strokes with even pressure and proper blade angle. Refer to many posts on here that talk about blade angle. Blade angle is everything. It will make or break a shave. You need to make certain that you are keeping the handle of your razor as parallel to the floor as you possibly can. If your blade angle is incorrect, you are scraping your face rather than letting the tip of the blade glide over the skin and slice the whisker. Improper blade angle = chewed up face, razor burn & nicks.

Keep us posted on your progress and ask a ton of questions. :thumbup:

Something else to mention is that you can grab a damp facecloth and use it to pull your skin taught as you slowly and carefully shave each section of your face. Shave a small patch and then move on to the next keeping your skin tight with the cloth. It made a world of difference for me.

While you mileage may vary, I started this wet-shaving trip on Derby Extra blades which I still use to this day. Try to score yourself a blade sampler back and give each a try for a week. Find the blade that works best for you while you practice. :)

Don't get discouraged, this is a wonderful trip you've begun. :)

Welcome to B&B, hope you enjoy this place as much as I do.

Just wanted to point out one thing in addition to all the good advice you have received so far

1. I understand that you currently have a boar brush which a lot of folks prefer, but to be honest there is nothing better than a badger hair brush to whip up a good lather and prep your beard. You can get one for as little as $30 or buy one from this forum from someone who is selling.

2. Do watch the videos from mantic on youtube.com . [ IMO The Holy Book (Video?) of Wet shaving]

You've got some good prep going on there.

Three things to think about, blade angle, blade angle, blade angle.

Be patient and you'll get the hang of it friend! Don't put pressure on yourself to get the best shave ever. You will get it eventually. Enjoy the experience which it sounds like you're doing a good job of it.

BTW I cut myself everytime shaving with a multi-blade and would leave patches of whiskers all over my face and neck. Now I shave with a DE and no blood (usually) and I never ever leave any whiskers behind.

DE wins going away! :cool:

Furnaceman,

Hi, I am definitely a newbie and it sounds like you have much more experience than me. Maybe you just need to get re-accustomed to using a DE blade?

I have been DE shaving six months now, but I notice a huge improvement in my technique since I started. I think this is due to the fact that a couple weeks after starting I decided to "take it easy" with my shaves and concentrate on getting an irritation free shave rather than a completely BBS one. For me, most of my irritation/occasional nicks were coming from my SN pass. So I dropped that out of my normal two pass NS-SN routine and started doing NS-EW with sometimes a third WE pass at the end to get extra close. This left me with a BBS-looking shave which was smooth in every way except against the grain, and it also allowed me to focus on my technique and get accustomed to the razor. Now that I have gotten used to the feel of the DE, I can go NS-SN with little to no irritation, especially using pre-shave oil immediately before my SN.

Is most of the irritation/snicks coming from your SN pass? Maybe you should try dropping that out of your routine for a couple weeks. Sounds like you got your prep down pat, in fact I could surely learn a few things from you about that!

Welcome to B&B,
For the sides of your mustache area, You could try using your off-hand to shave. I use my left and right hands now but when I first used my left hand I really had to concentrate more and I found that I used less pressure. I got better shaves with my left than my right hand. Mostly because I could not get my right hand to not put any pressure at all. My right hand has learned from my left and my shaves have improved tremendously. I have been at it a few months now and I still improve.
I also have discovered my whiskers grow in different directions than I originally thought. That makes a difference.

Top Bottom