What's new

navy suit, light brown belt & shoes

I've read before that the navy/brown combo is acceptable, but I personally wouldn't wear it ....something about it just doesn't look right to me. I wear black shoes & belts with navy, charcoal, etc., and brown with more earthy colors. Now, I have seen cordovan with navy and it looked OK.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
For me, I wouldn't wear light shoes with a dark suit. But that's just me.
A dark brown? I'd have no problem.

No, no, no, never, never, never. Oxblood or Cordovan are really the best choices to go with Navy. I wouldn't even wear black with Navy.

I've read before that the navy/brown combo is acceptable, but I personally wouldn't wear it ....something about it just doesn't look right to me. I wear black shoes & belts with navy, charcoal, etc., and brown with more earthy colors. Now, I have seen cordovan with navy and it looked OK.

For me, I wouldn't wear light shoes with a dark suit. But that's just me.
A dark brown? I'd have no problem.

I hear you guys. I generally only wear black shoes with a dark suit, I was just contemplating mixing it up a bit.

Frank Zappa wrote "brown shoes don't make it."!

My take is that about 10 years ago tan (or something lighter than dark brown anyway) shoes and belt with dark blue suits became fashionable, and now that combination is quite acceptable. It struck me as a little off at first, but now I like it a lot.

I do not think I like dark brown shoes and dark blue though.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
It is a very British look and quite fashionable. I like it. You can even wear brown with a gray suit. It is a question of personal taste and style.

What would Flusser say?

Btw, I am referring to wearing this combo during the day and not in the evening. If it's to be worn in the evening then I would always wear black shoes.

Do you ever get the feeling that the world is a tuxedo and you are a pair of brown shoes? - George Gobel

Last edited:
Thats too bad...I'm in the camp with Bob here. I think a Navy suit/brown shoes combo is fine.

In one of those military jobs where I happen to wear a suit quite a bit...I see all kinds of navy/brown combos. I also have seen (and wear) oxbloods.

Dressing...like shaving, is all about YMMV!

G

gone down south

I think it can be done, but only if the suit is on the lighter and less formal side.

proxy.php

Like the picture above, I wear dark brown shoes with navy and light and dark grey suits. I wouldn't wear light brown shoes with anything other than a light colored suit. I'm wearing black with my navy suit today, but most of the time I wear dark brown or oxblood colored shoes.

I very, very rarely wear black shoes. I have 3 varieties of brown, and I wear them with everything except grey (don't own a black suit). Black shoes with a navy suit shows no flare, IMO... It's boring and indicates a lack of sophistication to MY eye... totally biased, I know, but how I perceive people. So, don't "correct" me :lol:

Traditionally you would wear black soes with the navy suit at a stuffy office in my opinon the brown shoes bring life to a classic style and allow for the introduction of more color combinations in the suit.

Top Bottom