What's new

Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point Foutain Pen

Hello Gents,
I am feeling the FP AD coming on fast, but I have so little experience. I have a Waterman Phileas that I use daily (30 mins to hour and a half). I'm very happy with it but...the curiousity is taking hold...my bank account and SWMBO have not been notified yet.:lol:
Is this a good pen? I was considering the fine nib as my Waterman has a medium nib. In the long run would it really pay off to get the red limited edition? One more question...It looks like you can buy replacement nibs. Is this good or is it because their nibs break or get ruined more easily.
Thank You for any imput. :smile:

You should try it out at a store before buying.
Some people can't stand the clip location on these pens.
They are well built pens, and pretty durable, and write well.

The pilot nibs run a little narrower than the US and German like Pelikan's for the most part. I would say a current modern waterman Medium is probably more like a Pilot Broad.

The nibs are pretty sturdy and stiff. The older capless versions first came out in the 50's or 60's and I think for the most part the nib unit fit most of the vanishing points/capless pilot pens out now.
Some people like to get extra nibs and have them ground down to italic, or stub nibs to get some line variation.

Send user Siv a PM if you have specific questions, he has almost every Vanishing point/capless version pen ever made I think.

The LE red, it's up to you if you want to pay the premium for the LE color pen.

Thank You for the quick response...Red is not my color of choice so I will indeed pass on the LE. My problem is that there is no dealer in my city that sells them. I have to buy online to even test drive pens. That is why honest opinions are most helpful to me. You would then suggest the medium nib rather than fine.

For the nib width, if you want something only slightly thinner than your Wman, yes a Pilot Medium should do. The Pilot Fine is probably more in line with an Extra fine when compared to most manufactures.
If you need to mail order anyways, check with Pam at oscarbraunpens.com She has the best prices bar none. At Pam's prices you will recoup most of your money if you decide to sell it.

She also has some inks too, might as well pick up a couple bottles while you are at it.

I didn't like them at first but they have grown on me and now I have 6 or so.
Not to add further confusion, there is a japanese version called the Decimo,
same pen but more skinny and lighter.

I love my VP in medium (I have an early 90's model). The clip is not an issue for me, and I find myself using this one more than others (P51 and 21, Esterbrook, Pilot Knight, Levenger True Writer) simply because it's more portable and less showy.

Thank You for the quick response...Red is not my color of choice so I will indeed pass on the LE. My problem is that there is no dealer in my city that sells them. I have to buy online to even test drive pens. That is why honest opinions are most helpful to me. You would then suggest the medium nib rather than fine.

if you're buying online, i would recommend pam at oscar braun pens - best prices and service of any online pen shop.

http://onebeagle.net/oscarbraun/

Top Bottom