What's new

Jeans and a tie?

G

gone down south

Horrible 80's flashbacks going off in my head now.
Jeans + blazer can be done. Never ever ever jeans and tie.

well not everyone can pull it off. :tongue:

proxy.php

I remember wearing jeans and a tweed Faconnable blazer then. I'd sometimes wear an oxford shirt and tie with it. I think it was more of a young guy look - which I was then :001_smile

I always say no. I don't like jeans with a shirt and tie, or even with a blazer. But that's just me. What's the consensus?

No.

So many dress like slobs now, and I am as guilty as anyone. We are getting too fat and to sloppy.

Gee I am grumpy this evening.

people who pop their collars or wear a tie with jeans will be dealt with suitably after the revolution

:a41:

I'm a youngin' and I think a blazer, jeans and a tie look great together. A pair of mid to dark wash jeans that are slimmer fitting, a dark, single breasted, tailored blazer (pinstriped or solid), a button down shirt and a simple, skinny tie (with a non-Windsor knot, the top button unbuttoned and in stripes or solids) will work. Loosened ties (again, no Windsor knot and the top button unbuttoned), no matter what the material, are the key! Further, I really suggest using a skinny tie to make this work. Again, loosened, no Windsor knot and the top button unbuttoned will give you that relaxed yet sophisticated look. I would also recommend that the shirt be tucked in. You get the relaxed prep look. Add a v-neck sweater and you really accentuate the preppy portrayal (In this case use a regular tie, but don't get too complicated with the pattern; stripes work best). NOTE: You could wear a tweed jacket, but make sure you wear a blue,white or pink button down. Most other colors won't look good with a tweed jacket, because tweed is a bit difficult to match with. A grey jacket will work too! I'm not a fan of white jackets, but give it try. Experimentation is the key!

Okay, we covered the basics.

If you leave your shirt untucked, make sure the bottom of the shirt DOES NOT pass the bottom of the jacket. You will look like a f(t)ool if your shirt is longer than your jacket. I would not combine a tie with an untucked shirt. Typically, your button down shouldn't pass the zipper region of the jeans.

As far as shoes are concerned, if you are young, pair your outfit with non-flashy Pumas, Stan Smiths (Adidas low top street shoe) or any other casual/non-athletic shoe. If your older, I would try a boot, loafer or oxford shoe. I would try to stay away from high gloss shoes, as those are too fancy and belong to suit wearing. As always, match your shoes to your belt (NOTE: White shoes go best with a black belt; white shoes with a white belt means your trying too hard). Wear dark socks, preferably made from cotton.

Finally, add a pocket square to the jacket. Nothing too fancy, just your standard straight fold or puff fold will do. A white pocket square would be ideal.

I gotta be honest and say that I think jeans and a tie looks supremely uncool. Jeans period don't fit with elements of dress up fashion.

If you are wearing a blazer or sport jacket, wear nice khakis at the least.

But I'd never wear a tie unless I'm wearing dress pants.

Top Bottom