What's new

Opinion of experienced straight razor shavers pls!

Maybe my question will sound stupid but is it normal sometimes even if ur well experienced in straight razor shaving to a have a litle nick or cut when ur shaving?

yeah. if i stop paying attention or am distracted by something.

but you learn quickly to take the blade off your face if youre not concentrating most of the time

Not often. Didn't pay attention and got a nick today though, got sloppy and it was a bit early in the morning for clear thinking:redface:

Been a while since my last one so I'd say one rarely gets a nick that is visible later in the day.

Yep, even if you do a perfect shave there's no guarantee - one little blocked pore in the wrong place and you've got a tiny nick, no fault of your own.

It happens. For me its because I keep using different razors so I can't get completely awesome using just one.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I'm not very experienced with the straight but I did cut myself yes. Here and there, nothing big and not often.

With a DE razor, same story, a cut here and there but not often.

draw blood but no styptic required as in a minor nick, eh occasionally
require styptic pencil rare but it happens
a cut that takes time to stop, thankfully and hoping I don't jinx myself that has been about 2 years now

I've only been at it a couple of months but I'd say yes - a bit like experienced drivers, if you don't pay attention, something can go wrong.

My shaving? - occasional nick, usually if I'm not giving my full attention or if I'm fussing over a tricky area too much.

However - I think the whole mindfulness of straight razor shaving is part of its charm.

All the best,
Michael.

I've only been using a straight about four months, so I'm not really experienced, but would point out that it's normal to get the occassional nick using a DE, too. For me, it's usually when there's a small pimple or something on my face--so small that I don't even notice it. A straight will cut that just as easily. As for a straight, lately, most of the nicks and weepers come when I'm experimenting with new angles. I suspect it becomes less frequent with more experience.

Top Bottom