What's new

Roaster upgrade in transit

My Gene Cafe went south on me a while ago and I haven't been able to bring it back up to snuff. This is winging its way to me :biggrin::

Ooooh Synchronicity...

Mine went out on me, but luckily Walgreen's still had their $10 popcorn popper. :wink:

Here's a Sweet Maria's report on some roasting fun.

"It was a fun-filled day of roasters sharing stories and profile ideas with each participant getting a chance to try different machines and the group roasting two batches on the 12 kilo Probat...And some of the best roasts came from a Poppery!"​

Roger

Last edited:
Nice! I'm happily roasting with a Behmor but it doesn't like dark roasts. I'm hoping for one of these as my next purchase when the time comes.

Congrats! I've been really happy with my Behmor. It's great because I'm forced to roast indoors. Eventually when I move somewhere with some ventilation or an outside area in which to roast I'm for sure picking up one of these beauties. Let us know how your first roast goes!
Ben

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I spoke to the Genie rep and he told me he found the reason why your old unit crapped out.
Overuse

Did you take advantage of the Hottop "deal" on SM? I'd like to have one, but they are just too expensive.

Hey scotto,
Nice looking decompression chamber. I didn't know you were into scuba diving:001_tongu Serious looking bean burner. Nice tool to help you in your pursuit of coffee Nirvana. Congrats!

I really debated hard with myself over this one. The price gave me serious pause, of course. The Behmor is 1/2 the price, but I just knew I wouldn't be happy with it. I am a guy who likes to really tweak roast profiles, and the flexibility just wasn't there. Plus the Hottop has a long history of solid builds, great modularity, and customer service. As an espresso guy, I wanted a really good drum roaster that could do decent dark roasts as well as lighter ones.

We shall see next week when it arrives.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I whipped out my abacus and did some quick calculations. I took the sum of what Scotto has invested in roasters, venting, grinders, green beans, coffee makers, and accessories, and divided it by the number of cups of coffee he's made in the past few years, and it comes to roughly fourteen bucks a cup. :tongue_sm

I whipped out my abacus and did some quick calculations. I took the sum of what Scotto has invested in roasters, venting, grinders, green beans, coffee makers, and accessories, and divided it by the number of cups of coffee he's made in the past few years, and it comes to roughly fourteen bucks a cup. :tongue_sm

And worth every penny. :001_tongu

L

Lo'Tek

Nice - the best I could hope for is a hand roaster and bunson burner

. . .or - matches, a can of beans, and pull my finger.:ciappa:

Is it here, is it here, is it here???

How about now?
Now?
Will that Hot Top EVER arrive?

Let us know how it works for you. I'm intrigued.

So far, every purpose-built roaster I've considered seemed to be...not quite...it...so I've stayed at the elegantly simple, MacGuyver end of things. But maybe, just maybe I need to step up to where the big boys play.

Roger

Is it here, is it here, is it here???

How about now?
Now?
Will that Hot Top EVER arrive?

Let us know how it works for you. I'm intrigued.

So far, every purpose-built roaster I've considered seemed to be...not quite...it...so I've stayed at the elegantly simple, MacGuyver end of things. But maybe, just maybe I need to step up to where the big boys play.

Roger
Roaster MacGuyvers ARE the big boys. Don't let the shiny toys fool you into believing otherwise. :cool:

Top Bottom