What's new

End of the portable PC?

I have owned several Sony TT series portable PCs - 11" screen with a decent processor, memory and storage space, etc. Sadly, Sony has ended the TT series since the "netbooks" have eaten into market share., I snapped up a fully loaded one with XP installed. When this becomes filled up, I am not sure what I'll do. Netbooks just don't cut it if you like to travel and have some on-board capability. I run Labview, Quickbooks, and several other programs that use space and require a real OS. Netbooks have their place, but not if you actually develop stuff rather than want to have only a virtual existence.

It seems like the gap between serious, hardcore spec'd laptops (built with speed in mind and portability as an afterthought) and tiny portables is widening. I definitely think there's a serious demand for netbooks which will explode once SSDs catch up in the price and speed departments. For now, they're fine for keeping in contact when traveling, but for getting work done... maybe not so much. But in general I think the netbook class is ahead of the curve and we'll see it continue to overtake the mid-range laptop market.

Apple to the rescue :biggrin: :lol:

proxy.php

I currently own a "netbook." It's an Acer AspireOne. 10.5" screen and it's basically fully operational, if slightly underpowered. 1.6 ghz processor, 160 gb hard drive, 1 gb of RAM (expandable to 2 gb), built-in wireless, and if you get the right model, you can plug your mobile phone sim card into it and use your cell phone data network. It comes with Windows XP installed so you don't have to worry about learning Linux like on some other netbooks. It's only 2.4 lbs, and smaller than an average textbook, and best of all, it was only $250.

The only problem with it from my perspective is that it lacks an optical drive, but that's why they make USB externals! I've got MS Office Enterprise edition on it, and it runs it wonderfully. Haven't experimented with photoshop yet, but I generally use my desktop for photography work.

My understanding is that netbook sales have not taken off like they thought it would. I see netbooks for sale on Woot on a regular basis. One thing to consider in the scheme of things is that smart phone as well. Internet capable phones can replace the needs of having a computer along if all you want connectivity.

L

Lo'Tek

Once you go Mac, you never go back.

When I visit my mother - my mother is on her Dell laptop via wifi, my brother is on the host PC, and my Mac on wifi tops them both for speed - including the host PC.

I think it is the inevitable change we all wonder about at times. My own thoughts about this for a number of years now goes like this; pcs/notebooks/computers in general have become like television and cell phones. Utility devices and general nuisances we all can't seem to live without. People want these things to go "pop" every time they hit the on button. And that is all they want. I personally think the laptop market is suffering the same fate as large dish satellite. Artificially over inflated prices because, well, who is going to compete with what we've got if you want satellite tv? Enter DirecTv and I think we know where that went. The same with notebooks. Until the netbooks popped up two or three years ago, you would be hard pressed to find even a bottom end laptop for less than $800-1000. If you wanted anything at all even remotely more powerful you were looking at $2000. People just got tired of it. About four months ago my daughter bought a Toshiba laptop with 15.6" screen and dual core Intel processor with four gig of ram for less than $450 from BestBuy. What more could you ask if you need basic internet service, general office productivity, CD/DVD ripping and burning and the ability to play movies she has made and from the DVD collection? This is exactly where 98% of consumers are at. That is why the netbooks continue to sell. The wife bought one for $299 a few months ago. No, it is not good for her college homework. Not because it won't do a very mundane task. It will. But because the screen is too small. It is really a portable email/internet device and that is good for most people. I am not bashing the high end notebooks like the air thin Macs. They are just ridiculously overpriced. At least to me. Those that need/want high powered portables will likely be able to get them but I think the day of the $1000 laptop is almost over. I think Pat is right. You buy high end or low end but not in the middle. As computing power gets smaller and even more affordable, I think convergence of devices like phones/voip/netbooks will do nothing but increase. We may be on the way to a Star Trek tricorder after all.

Regards, Todd

I have no problem using my Eee 901 as my main computer. I might be a bit younger than most here, and I tend to adapt very quickly to technology, though.

I've used various iMacs for years. My current one has the 24" monitor and I love it. What baffled me is that the software package no longer contains a word processor or Quicken. I ended up downloading Bean and find it to suit my needs just fine.

:thumbup:

Can't beat the 13" MBP for $1,499. 4GB RAM and a 250GB HDD. I run Lightroom and Premier on it with no drag in speed. Plus you can get an additional 4GB through MacSales if you want it for $270.

Except you can buy an identically spec'd Dell (almost exactly the same size/weight) for over $500 less.

Once Windows XP dies out (which it was supposed to last year, but netbooks saved it) and Microsoft removes their innane liscencing restrictions from netbooks we'll see a bunch of powerful netbooks out there.
As is MS will only liscence XP to a netbook with a screen no larger than 10.1" hdd no larger than 160gb no more than 1gb of ram and processor no better than 1.6ghz Atom.

Except you can buy an identically spec'd Dell (almost exactly the same size/weight) for over $500 less.

The Dell may be cheaper, but you'll pay for it with the Windows 'experience.' Vista is a terrible OS, eclipsed only in failure by Microsoft's Windows ME. Windows 7 looks to improve on quite a few things, but it is still leagues behind OS X in terms of user experience.

Moreover, you won't have to spend your first week of Mac ownership trying to remove 10,000 pre-installed trialware apps that all run on startup, nor trying to determine which trialware apps you actually need and to purchase the full versions of them.

My understanding is that netbook sales have not taken off like they thought it would. I see netbooks for sale on Woot on a regular basis. One thing to consider in the scheme of things is that smart phone as well. Internet capable phones can replace the needs of having a computer along if all you want connectivity.

yep-the best 'netbook' out there is the ipod touch.

marty

Once Windows XP dies out (which it was supposed to last year, but netbooks saved it) and Microsoft removes their innane liscencing restrictions from netbooks we'll see a bunch of powerful netbooks out there.
As is MS will only liscence XP to a netbook with a screen no larger than 10.1" hdd no larger than 160gb no more than 1gb of ram and processor no better than 1.6ghz Atom.

Yes, it really pissed me off when microsoft put in their stupid restrictions. They are limiting the market.

yep-the best 'netbook' out there is the ipod touch.

marty

Hi Marty. Now forgive the dumb question; but what makes the Touch a good netbook? I am asking as someone who does not own an iPod or ever has. We have a couple of Sandisk Clips around the house but none of the nicer models with things like touch screens. I take it the Touch has wifi(which is probably a given), and a few other apps to make it web worthy so to speak. Is there some option or feature that makes the tiny screen a better choice than a regular netbook? Thanks.

Regards, Todd

Top Bottom