What's new

Difference between Lavender Water Tonic and Cologne?

I am researching some lavender fragrance and have come accross what I thought was lavender colognes, but turn out to be lavender waters. What's the difference?

Technically there is no difference. Lavender "water" is another name for lavender cologne. Strengths will differ per maker, but this is not determined by whether or not it is termed a "water." In fact, anything other than perfume is a "water" of some sort. "Eau" is French for "water," so Eau de Parfum, Eau de Toilette and Eau de Cologne are all "waters" of some sort.

Technically there is no difference. Lavender "water" is another name for lavender cologne. Strengths will differ per maker, but this is not determined by whether or not it is termed a "water." In fact, anything other than perfume is a "water" of some sort. "Eau" is French for "water," so Eau de Parfum, Eau de Toilette and Eau de Cologne are all "waters" of some sort.

Well I was mainly interested in a comparison between Aktinson's English Lavender and Taylor of Old Bond Street's Lavender Water. Wasn't sure of the difference.

K

KristofferBodvin

Hello

I just got tobs "luxury lavender water", and I can tell you that its much more of an AS than a cologne.

Kristoffer

Trust HoratioCaine to come in here and make me look like an idiot.:wink: Which I am.:biggrin:

I told you I don't know much about colognes.....:lol:

Well I was mainly interested in a comparison between Aktinson's English Lavender and Taylor of Old Bond Street's Lavender Water. Wasn't sure of the difference.

I haven't tried the Taylor. Atkinson's is a straight up English lavender cologne of moderate strength. With the possible exception of C&S Oxford & Cambridge, lavender colognes tend to be fairly light in intensity and fleeting in longevity, relative to a number of other scents - although most citrus based scents are even more fleeting. I find the best way to make lavender waters stick around is to apply them to my chest and immediately put a shirt on. The fabric helps hold the scent, and keeps it from evolving as much throughout the day, maintaining more of its just-out-of-the-bottle character.

I haven't tried the Taylor. Atkinson's is a straight up English lavender cologne of moderate strength. With the possible exception of C&S Oxford & Cambridge, lavender colognes tend to be fairly light in intensity and fleeting in longevity, relative to a number of other scents - although most citrus based scents are even more fleeting. I find the best way to make lavender waters stick around is to apply them to my chest and immediately put a shirt on. The fabric helps hold the scent, and keeps it from evolving as much throughout the day, maintaining more of its just-out-of-the-bottle character.

As colognes go, I think that Caron's Pour un Homme lasts quite a long time. I'm not a 100% convert, but I'm getting used to what once struck me as a kind of sickly sweetness to it. I'm finally getting to like the lavender/vanilla thing.

As colognes go, I think that Caron's Pour un Homme lasts quite a long time. I'm not a 100% convert, but I'm getting used to what once struck me as a kind of sickly sweetness to it. I'm finally getting to like the lavender/vanilla thing.

Yeah, I guess there are other exceptions. I shouldn't have limited it strictly to O&C. It's no coincidence, though, that Caron should be longer lasting and have some sweetness to it. Lavender notes behave similarly to citrus notes, and it's the heavier anchors (vanilla, amber, etc.) that tend to give lavender colognes their staying power.

The "problem" I have with lavender waters is that they all seem to have a mint smell to them that I personally do not care for. And that includes TOBS. The one I really like is C&E, but, like most of them, has no longevity. However, maybe thinking about this will compel me to spray some on my face as an aftershave tonic, just to see what that is like. The C&E has no mint, and is flowery.

Top Bottom