What's new

Siberian Cats and other hypo-allergenic breeds

My girlfriend is a huge animal lover, but she lacks the space and isn't home enough to properly care for a dog. She's also moderately allergic to cats and so she's been unable to have one o these either. I've known about some hypo-allergenic cat breeds, the Oriental and the Siberian. She spend this evening checking out the Siberian's online and really fell in love with them. I've never had a cat and really don't know anything about any of them, especially this breed. Does anyone know anything about Siberian cats?

Any information or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I dont know much about that breed, but im pretty sure theyre not hypo-allergenic to all people. If its possible maybe she could go to a breeder and hang out and see the cats and find out if that sets off her allergies.

I dont know much about that breed, but im pretty sure theyre not hypo-allergenic to all people. If its possible maybe she could go to a breeder and hang out and see the cats and find out if that sets off her allergies.

That is something I had already planned to do. I've read that same info as well, but I'm also trying to get info on their behavior, personalities, lifespan, and all the other stuff one needs to know before making a major decision on a pet.

I love cats but can't keep one because of my allergies.

There's only one cat I've heard of that really can avoid the problem, and that's a genetically modified cat. Of course you're going to pay a lot of money for one of those.

There are breeds like the one you mentioned that more or less lower the chances of a person having an allergic reaction. But it's not a sure thing. For example, my in-laws had a dog, a Sheltie, and when they found out I had allergic problems with dogs they always touted that the Sheltie was allergy-free...well guess what, I was allergic to their dog.

Like the suggestion above, she can visit someone who has one and see how her reaction is. But a couple of warnings on that front. First, if she visits with someone who has several cats, she might have a reaction even though she wouldn't have a reaction with one cat. Second, if she handles one cat for a short time and feels fine, that's not a guarantee that she won't have problems after living with the cat 24 hours/day for a few weeks.

And that would be bad--if she grew attached to the cat and had to get rid of it, because it would break her heart and would also create the problem of finding an owner. You don't want to have to give the cat to a shelter.

Your girlfriend, if she hasn't already, should visit an allergist and be tested to determine the range of her allergies. She may also get an idea of their severity.

Another idea would be for her to foster a cat. It would only last a couple weeks and she would have an idea of what it takes to care for a cat as well as her allergic reaction. But I think it is unlikely that she will find an opportunity to foster just one of the breeds that is considered less allergic.

I know nothing of the breed, but in my experience w/ cat allergies, females are much better than males, and white/light fur is better than dark fur.

Allergy shots. Its not a short term solution, but its probably the best way. I had them for 3 years. When I was little, I couldn't be around cats, pollen, grass, or dust. You name it, I was allergic to it (except dogs). I now own a cat. My allergies only get bad during peak season. I take the generic form of Claritin and am fine.

This is about all I could offer as well. I'm allergic to cats and my ex-wife loved them. We tried the Siberian route and aside from really not liking cats it devastated my allergies. I will also add that it took a few weeks for the reaction to really happen, but once it did it wasn't something I could manage. Simply spending some time around them may not indicate whether or not she'll be ok with any of the 'so called' hypo-allergenic felines.

I've had one Siberian cat, and she was very loving. Not at all like the Siamese cats that my mother had when I was growing up. Siamese cats are evil. :mad:

Yes, and they all know where you live ! Muhahahahaha!

Seems like I remember reading once that you can take certain steps in the care of a cat that eliminates the majority of allergies...might want to look into it. If the allergies are not too severe it may help.

Me, my allergies only kick into high gear when the cats start force-feeding me hairballs. :eek:

*cough, cough, cough, cough, haaaaaaack*

quite often you will become accustomed to "your" cat and the allergies will subside to a very low level .now exposure to other cats will trigger an allergy attack.

Not at all like the Siamese cats that my mother had when I was growing up. Siamese cats are evil. :mad:

Funny, the lovey doviest cat I've ever known is a Siamese. When I cat sit, she insists on sitting and walking all over me from the minute I arrive to the moment I leave. Makes it hard to get up and play with her housemate the golden retriever...

quite often you will become accustomed to "your" cat and the allergies will subside to a very low level .now exposure to other cats will trigger an allergy attack.

That's what I had hoped for but the reality was the opposite. Several weeks (possibly months) after owning the cat my allergies came back and only got progressively worse until we got rid of it.

Top Bottom