What's new

E-cigarettes?

Do any of you use these? I see them at the mall all the time, but I have not tried them or anything (I am not a smoker, anyway). What are your impressions?

They are totally unregulated by the FDA. They are not subject to any sort of testing, or quality control, as we understand it.

Technically, I don't even think they are legal to be sold in the United States, as they are nicotine-delivery vehicles. The makers are Chinese companies, of which we know nothing.

If you are trying to quit smoking, stick to gum or patches from recognized pharamceutical suppliers.

They are totally unregulated by the FDA. They are not subject to any sort of testing, or quality control, as we understand it.

Technically, I don't even think they are legal to be sold in the United States, as they are nicotine-delivery vehicles. The makers are Chinese companies, of which we know nothing.

If you are trying to quit smoking, stick to gum or patches from recognized pharamceutical suppliers.

good info. got a link?

I saw something recently where the Federal Government was against them saying that they used ethylene glycol or anti-freeze as a delivery system. They actually use propylene glycol, which is used in many foods, as the delivery system. I think the Fed's problem against them may be because of taxes rather than safety.

good info. got a link?

Sorry, its another New York Times story that I first read about them - after a friend of mine showed up with one of the things.

“These appear to be unapproved drug device products,” said Karen Riley, a spokeswoman for the agency, “and as unapproved products they can’t enter the United States.”

and

Of the e-cigarettes themselves, Dr. Hurt added: “We basically don’t know anything about them. They’ve never been tested for safety or efficacy to help people stop smoking.”

The e-cigarettes use ethylene glycol to make the "smoke" you inhale. Ethylene glycol is an ingredient in antifreeze, and it has NEVER been tested to see if it is safe to inhale.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The e-cigarettes use ethylene glycol to make the "smoke" you inhale. Ethylene glycol is an ingredient in antifreeze, and it has NEVER been tested to see if it is safe to inhale.

Just to be fair, the article you posted says that it is propylene glycol NOT ethylene glycol.
Big difference. Propylene Glycol is an approved substance for the manufacture of edible products, Ethylene Glycol (the chief ingredient in anti-freeze) is lethal.
Yes, propylene glycol may be used in the manufacture of anti-freeze, but so is water, and you wouldn't say "it contains water, which is used to make anti-freeze".

But I get your point, and there are a ton of medically approved quit tools available to the general public, though I suspect that the biggest concern that the Governmant has over them is the lack of Tax Revenue. My biggest worry would be an unregulated product from China.
I mean, come on - Lead Paint on Kids Toys, Stuffed animals filled with flammable rags, Milk shipped all over the world with dangerous levels of Melamine? How many times do we have to get burned before we stop taking the cheap stuff from China?

Dow Chemical is the largest single producer of Propylene Glycol, it is not toxic and not irritating to the skin, it quickly biodegrades. However, regarding the inhalation of PG mists, Dow itself says this:

"Exposure to mists may cause eye irritation, as well as upper respiratory tract irritation. Inhalation of the PG vapors appears to present no significant hazard in ordinary applications. However, limited human experience indicates that inhalation of PG mists may be irritating to some individuals. Therefore inhalation exposure to mists of these materials should be avoided. In general, Dow does not support or recommend the use of PG in applications where inhalation exposure or human eye contact with the spray mists of these materials is likely, such as fogs for theatrical productions or antifreeze solutions for emergency eye wash stations."

Last edited:
Definitely a big question mark in terms of safety. I think all nicotine replacement therapy is bogus and a huge scam. The physical withdrawl symptoms one gets after quitting smoking are minor at best. It is all psychological.

Just to be fair, the article you posted says that it is propylene glycol NOT ethylene glycol..

Yes. I mis-read that one. Sorry.

Propylene glycol is a very different chemical than ehtylene glycol. Propylene glycol is actually a major ingredient in, uh, personal lubricants. So, obviously the stuff isn't toxic.

But it definitely isn't meant to be sucked deeply into your lungs.

Top Bottom