What's new

Rubbing Alcohol

It's been mentioned using Witch Hazel and Alum blocks instead of a marketed "aftershave", but has anyone other than myself used plain ole Rubbing Alcohol?

You are a true burly man.
Rubbing alcohol stinks and would burn too much for me to want to use it as an aftershave.

I tried it for a few years when I first started shaving, 30+ years ago. I had a friend who taught me to use it, and just put up with the burn but it wasn't much fun. As I matured, I guess I turned into a bit of a wimp: for many years, I was a balm kind of guy exclusively. Now that I'm on the other side of 50 and don't have to impress anyone but myself, I've got a few drugstore cowboy alchohol-based AS (AV, various BR's, Skin Bracer, Vi-Jon "Old Spice"). When I long for the burn, I just slap on some of that Pinaud Bay Rum...oh YEAH!:w00t:

A few years ago, I used wintergreen isopropyl alcohol from Walgreen's (preferred it over the plain stuff that I also tried). It stung a lot, and my face & neck were beet red for the drive to work, but everything was all settled down by the time I got there. When my technique got better, I switched to Proraso ASB and it worked fine.

Now I'm a devoted follower of all flavors of Aqua Velva, and I have the isopropyl days to thank for teaching me to power through the sting. Give the AV (starting w/ Classic Ice Blue) a shot!

I've got about 7 other aftershaves, sometimes I use the alcohol when I don't want to use a scented AS. I've used witch hazel, but I like the burn of the alcohol better.

Since starting DE shaving a couple of months ago I have been using rubbing alcohol after every shave. I really like the way it feels, and it gives IMMEDIATE feedback about your technique! It's a nice cooling astringent.

Originally I planned to get both a balm and an alcohol-based aftershave but ended up with only the balm to start (Proraso liquid cream). So to compensate I starting using alcohol and ended up really liking it, and procrastinating on getting the aftershave splash.

Now that my razor technique has been improving I get very little burn, if any. And I have very little redness, if any, as well.

I thought that I might stay with this as my post shave routine (alcohol followed by balm) since I like it a lot. But I saw a good deal on some Proraso splash and couldn't resist adding to the collection of products.

I'm afraid the smell has a bad association for me.

I had a forehead covered with pimples as a teenager. Since the most common acne treatment available at the time seemed to make it worse, the solution we adopted was rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab every night. :frown:

- Chris

R

rainman

Most of the time I not use any aftershave products. Just massage in some cold water after the shave. Sometimes I do use Wintergreen Rubbing Alcohol. If I mess myself up which I don't do often I'll put on some vic's vapo rub on the raw spots.

I've used it before when I've had no other alternatives. Hell, I've used straight vodka as an aftershave. As long as I disinfect my skin with alcohol, I don't care. But would I choose to use it? Yeah right. Life's too short to not try every single alcohol based aftershave splash known to man. I'll leave the Witch Hazel, mouthwash, hydrogen peroxide and rubbing alcohol to you guys. :biggrin:

A very big +1 to all of the above (save using straight vodka as an AS).

ive done it, it works. doesn't feel good, and smells ornry. as well, i would point out that i have been told several times that while it does disinfect, if you have a cut that is a bit worse than usual, it may be wise to use something non alcohol based (this includes your vodka and other spirits for all of you urban commandos), as alcohol is said to kill some of the skin cells lining the wound resulting in a slightly longer heal time. personally i use old spice and a stypic pencil, on the other hand i am very much of the chics dig scars vein, and could care less how long my face appears to be injured due to that tussle i must have had with a doberman pincher whom was surely going to attack that little girl, *wink

Top Bottom