What's new

Broken Bartmann brought back from beyond

Scored a very nice worked back Bartmann. Little to no hone wear. A bit of corrosion, but nothing outrageous.

I gave my new find a caress, and then rubbed is a bit with acloth and polish to see what was what with the corrosion....

*snap*!

The tip corner came off right in my hand! Full hollow? Oh my yes!

proxy.php

Tip and scale tail nip-tuck.

Shortened the blade (now 2 1/4" cutting edge), but that made the scales look waaay too long for the blade. And the scales are cool 3-pin Bartmann originals. So, I shortened the scales in-situ, and went pinless there too. I usually like the blade to wedge to be a bit tighetr than this turned out, but what can you do sometimes.

There was a fair bit of pitting under that gold wash seen above, and due to my original tradgedy I did not go after it that agressively!. Semi-shine-satin finish. Still needs a honing and a test drive to see what this wafer-thin blade can do!

proxy.php

proxy.php

Nice thread AND razor resurrection. Can't help but wonder at the enormity of Seraphim's hand strength if he's going around inadvertently snapping hardened steel in two. No wonder he had to start buying Gold Dollars and film. After breaking a Bartmann while polishing it, id be loathe to spend any real money on rare vintage razors also. And can you imagine what this honer from the planet Krypton would do to a jnat and Nagura when trying to raise a slurry? The Botan would turn to dust and every time he gripped the Nakayama Asagi the force of compression would subtly alter its surface molecular makeup and render it useless.

It's a terrific burden you carry friend.

Nice thread AND razor resurrection. Can't help but wonder at the enormity of Seraphim's hand strength if he's going around inadvertently snapping hardened steel in two. No wonder he had to start buying Gold Dollars and film. After breaking a Bartmann while polishing it, id be loathe to spend any real money on rare vintage razors also. And can you imagine what this honer from the planet Krypton would do to a jnat and Nagura when trying to raise a slurry? The Botan would turn to dust and every time he gripped the Nakayama Asagi the force of compression would subtly alter its surface molecular makeup and render it useless.

It's a terrific burden you carry friend.

No feats of strength required.

Try this: Go grab you most refined razor...go on, don't be shy, go get your Filly 14 or other such big, extra full hollow. Grab the tip and give it a wee little flex...

No feats of strength required.

Try this: Go grab you most refined razor...go on, don't be shy, go get your Filly 14 or other such big, extra full hollow. Grab the tip and give it a wee little flex...

i am hoping the corrosion had a major part in that … it looks so based on the starburst pattern emanating from the area.

Lol, I hope nobody tries this...

Very nice save on that razor btw. I'd have been so pissed I don't know if I could see the good in it and just have thrown it against the wall.

i am hoping the corrosion had a major part in that … it looks so based on the starburst pattern emanating from the area.

No. I don't think so. It was a very full hollow grind. Nice and flexy thin.

Perhaps I was simply used to the punishment my GDs can take from me and keep on coming back for more?

Top Bottom