What's new

a conversation with my barber

Recently I was getting my hair cut at our local barber shop (yes, in addition to classic shaving I do enjoy classic hair cutting.) and as he shaved the back of my neck with his straight razor, I mentioned to him that I had recently taken up DE shaving. He was immediately interested, he mentioned that his father had been shaving with a DE for years and it had recently broken, and he wanted to get him a replacement as a gift. My barber is from Russia and his Dad I would imagine is in his 60's. Thinking about the great education I have obtained at B&B university, it was pretty cool to be able to advise him. I didn't get the sense that either he or his Dad would be taking this up as a hobby, so whatever I recommended needed to be right, because it was going to be the last razor his Dad probably used in his life. I also needed to take price into account since Barbers in general do not make a lot of money. He also expressed a distaste for a used razor-- something I think any of you who have bought on Ebay have encountered (eeww-- you are going to use someone else's razor???).

So I recommended he buy the Merkur HD for his Dad. I walked back in there the other day to get another haircut, and he explained that he had bought the razor, given it to his dad, and it was a hit. It felt good to be able to use all this knowledge all of you have and share on this site to help someone else get a holiday gift.

Best wishes to fellow B&Bers for the season. Here is to a BBS 2007!!!

Vin

Probably the best motivation to keep using a DE that I have heard in a long time.

Thanks for sharing. The best of the season to all!

IanF

Top Bottom