What's new

what do you cut a EDC or EDT with?

One of my friends brought be back some "essential oil" or concentrated colonge back from the middle east, and before you all say it i know it was most likely a scam, but the stuff smells really nice and I thought what the hey i may as well use it, but what do i cut it with? it feels way too oily to use as it is?

thanks

Look at the ingredient list on any bottle of EdC or EdT, and that will tell you what is used ... probably your best bets would be to dilute it Purified/Distilled Water and/or SD Alcohol. Experiment a little bit to find the proper ratios.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Get an non-scented fragrance base (like from Barclay Crocker). That's what I use when I play with EO's to make up a fragrance.

There was a thread a while ago about fragrances from the Middle East. Maybe Rorschuck posted a link to Basenotes? Certainly there's all kins of information about this on Basenotes. Anyway, if I were you, I'd identify exactly what it is that you have. If it's an oil based fragrance, can't you just use it like that?

You can just use a dab of the oil as it is - or - put it into a roller-ball bottle which only dispenses a tiny amount at a time. If you use a roller ball bottle you could cut down the strength with a rose hip oil from the local drugstore.

If you are certain you want to cut it with alcohol or liquid. Try a few drops at a time until the strength you desire, into one or two ounces of vodka or everclear. Either of these off the shelf alcohols are for personal use only.

If you add water to this it will most likely turn white, similar in appearance to watery milk. I would't recommend it.

Sue

Sorry just thought of another idea, could i mix it with some un scented witch hazel? like Thayers etc? would that work?

Witch hazel generally 'stinks'. A fragranced WH will conflict with your fragrance. I wouldn't if I were you. Sue

That is insanity, just applying essential oils directly to your skin. Many are incredibly poisonous and can cause at best severe irritation or allergic reactions. They are not designed to be used as colognes. When they use them in perfumes there is a process of rendering them inert on contact by using a "carrier" oil I believe it is called, something neutral.

It isn't safe, especially some random thing from the Middle East which isn't going to have been subject to any kind of quality control or testing whatsoever.

Essential oils in their pure form are designed to be used pretty well exclusively for aromatherapy or scenting a room etc.

Go read up on essential oils in the internet and you'll see what a bad idea this is. They are ultra concentrated chemicals, and there are lots of things which smell nice and wreak havoc on your body at the same time. They're classified like any other chemical, they come with Material Safety Data Sheets when you buy them in a little box at the grocery store.

Top Bottom