What's new

why is going ATG considered a no-no?

i get ingrowns, going atg without the proper planets in align, and various other circumstances have to be in place. i can do it. but i still don't do it all the time, or wish to either. its just not feasible for an every day shave. not yet anyway, im still torqueing around with some things. ultimately though, i am one of those guys for whom atg, (only in two spots) can be quite an issue. just the two spots. i can be vicious as i wish anywhere else on my face/neck.

With against-the-grain, the hairs tend to push the blade into the skin. I have sensitive skin and generally avoid it.

MinnMD

I've yet to do an ATG pass without being uncomfortable after. I haven't been wetshaving very long and it's something I'm putting on hold until I'm more experienced. Like these guys said it's something that'll come with time and practice.

If you don't have pansy-skin like me and can get away with it, go for it (and if so I'm jealous!).

Well I'm a newb with a DE razor but I've been shaving ATG on my throat for years, and sometimes do it on my cheeks and sideburn area. For that perfect BBS Sunday shave.

It's never really bothered me.

With the DE, I don't do it on pass 1, I do it on the last pass, whether it be a 2 shave day or 3 shave.

Because of the angle the hair is cut and upon regrowth it is possible for the hair to curl back under your skin and burn, baby burn or that sudo word?

I could just shave WTG, and it would be an acceptable shave, but I would have to shave again the next today (I shave every day before work, every second when I am not), but I would not feel clean-shaven. I never cut myself WTG, and only weepers ATG sometimes.

i do it on every shave....but it was a learning experience at first, not on technique but on what shave equipment really worked on my face and how long i could get a blade to last.

Not an old wive's tale at all. Some folks' faces can't take it. Going ATG isn't considered a no-no. Its just not for everyone.

+1

I do a full 3 passes plus buffing with the straight on my face, though I tend to go ATG only when I use the straight on my head.

Shaving with carts, ATG and only ATG.

If you think your face can't take ATG, try shaving with cold water. Although it's not the nicest thing to wake up to, it really helps keeping the skin calm. I used to have some ATG sensitivity but not anymore. If I get a late enough shave in the day before and wake up early, I can do a one pass ATG and be good to go.

The ATG is my second pass. However when I shaved with a cart I never went ATG and then when I started Wet Shaving, I did not do ATG at first until I had my prep and technique down. I especially made sure I was in the habit of not applying any pressure before starting ATG.

I only go ATG when my beard is long enough...I need at least 2 days for my face to heal before I go ATG again.

I think I read somewhere that it can be the cause of ingrown hairs but I think a lot of us prefer ATG to get a closer shave. I don't think I would consider my shave worth it if I couldn't do an ATG pass. is there anyone here that doesn't go ATG or is this just some old wive's tale?

It's not a "no-no". That kind of advice especially to new shavers is the lazy way out IMO. Instead, I offer this advice: Map your beard growth on your face, especially your neck. Learn to stretch the skin on your face during the shave by using alum on the fingertips of your off-hand.

If you stretch your skin and use less pressure and not more while paying attention to proper blade angle, you will come away with a close, irritation free shave.

Good luck,

Frank

I never go ATG, but then again I could care less about BBS. DFS is fine for me, and even on the rare occasions I have tried a 3-pass shave with ATG, I still looks like I have stubble. Not worth it, IMHO. The fact that I am tremendously prone to ingrowns has a lot of bearing in the matter. If you can do it, more power to you. YMMV, in all things.

Last edited:
Its all in the beard, if I had Desperate Dan's growth , I would never consider it but as I don't every Saturday I go BBS...

$Desperate Dan-1260181.jpg

I never go ATG, but then again I could care less about BBS. DFS is fine for me, and even on the rare occasions I have tried a 3-pass shave with ATG, I still looks like I have stubble. Not worth it, IMHO. The fact that I am tremendously prone to ingrowns has a lot of bearing in the matter. If you can do it, more power to you. YMMV, in all things.

+1

It also depends on the shaver/blade and the facial shave region. I usually go ATG all over with the mild Merkur 23c, regardless of blade.
But with the aggressive R41, again regardless of blade, I don't go ATG above the lip or side of lip - too much pulling and actually this razor gets everything above the lip with ATG/XTG. But elsewhere, including on the neck, ATG with R41 works fine and cleans everything up perfectly.

Since this thread has been bumped back from a 4 1/2 year death...
I think I read somewhere that it can be the cause of ingrown hairs but I think a lot of us prefer ATG to get a closer shave. I don't think I would consider my shave worth it if I couldn't do an ATG pass. is there anyone here that doesn't go ATG or is this just some old wive's tale?

I suspect that it is often (always?) the closer shave itself that contributes to ingrowns, more than the technique used to arrive at such a result.

Top Bottom