Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why is going ATG considered a no-no?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default why is going ATG considered a no-no?

I think I read somewhere that it can be the cause of ingrown hairs but I think a lot of us prefer ATG to get a closer shave. I don't think I would consider my shave worth it if I couldn't do an ATG pass. is there anyone here that doesn't go ATG or is this just some old wive's tale?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not an old wive's tale at all. Some folks' faces can't take it. Going ATG isn't considered a no-no. Its just not for everyone.
    Chris

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

I don't go directly ATG. My second XTG pass is skewed toward ATG, but it's still at least half XTG.
    Randall. BOTOC, Excalibur, Hot Sauce Pepper Heads Club

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

My face is pretty sensitive, which is one of the reasons I changed to wetshaving with soap, brush, DE.

For a long time I only shaved WTG. Good results wrt sensistivity but mediocre shave.

Once my face adapted to the process I now throw in an XTG and sometimes ATG pass. Much better shaves, no issues with sensistivity now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I do go atg about twice a week or if i need a really close shave though i did not do it until i was happy with my shaving.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

I always go ATG. I think that 'no atg' rule is mainly for cartridges

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mdunn View Post
    I always go ATG. I think that 'no atg' rule is mainly for cartridges
    Same here.

rainman

I think everyone could do atg if they wanted. It just might really be really tricky for some to find the right combination of shaving equipment in order to do so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The problem is that ATG with the amount of pressure used in most people's cartridge shaving seriously rips up your face.

With a light touch and practice ATG can be come no problem, for the most part. I still can't ATG my mustache area without getting microzits later on in the day, but the rest of my face, no problem.
    -Jordan
    The world needs more humble geniuses, there are so few of us left.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

EDIT: oops double post
    -Jordan
    The world needs more humble geniuses, there are so few of us left.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

I've never had a problem in 20+ years wetshaving, but some folks' beard growth patterns makes it tricky. As stated, good prep and a light touch does the trick.
    [SIZE=2][B][COLOR=#0000ff]Bill[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Sure, my beard is reduced with every pass starting with WTG, then XTG, but if I do not add in a ATG and even touch ups with Blade buffing/J Hooking... I would look and feel as if i didn't bother to even shave!
    My Shave Den Equipment List - http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/User:Koss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

I don't do ATG, as doing so seems to make the razor skip, and drag, and is not at all comfortable for me.

Then again, BBS is not my goal. The difference between a DFS, and BBS only matters if you stroke your face against the grain, and really would only matter to me, if someone else were stroking my face.

Since the average person is not going to spend a large amount of time scrutinizing your face, I am totally fine with a shave that has removed all of the viable stubble.
    ~~JOHN~~*Founding member of ALPHA Team*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default I think it's good avice for beginners...

if you do an ATG pass without the prerequisite wetshaving skills, you can cause razor burn and increase the likelihood of ingrowns. This can put off a newbie.

It's also good advice for guys who've mastered wetshaving a little more, but are still having issues with ingrowns.

Having said that, some guys have trouble ATG. I really don't do ATG with DE or Injectors. I'm slightly more aggressive ATG with cartridges, however. I've never had ingrown issues with cartridges, but get minor bumps with DEs and/or injectors if I go completely ATG.

As with most things related to shaving, an "everyone's different" should be inferred along with any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by gaseousclay View Post
    I think I read somewhere that it can be the cause of ingrown hairs but I think a lot of us prefer ATG to get a closer shave. I don't think I would consider my shave worth it if I couldn't do an ATG pass. is there anyone here that doesn't go ATG or is this just some old wive's tale?

With DE I didn't have a problem with ATG but with straight, it took some learning curve. Now, I don't even shave XTG at except around the mouth and I shave ATG with no WTG under the jaw when I want to finish quickly.
    I get no bleeders or burns and I'm still surprised as to how long it takes for the stubble to be felt again. Ok, I admit I get worried I won't have enough for the shave next morning

Lanesborough, In the "other" Massachusetts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'll go ATG for my 3rd pass. When I do though I make sure I use NO PRESSURE what-so-ever. I'll even blade buff ATG. It took my quite awhile before I was able to do so with comfort however. Just start slow. like on your cheeks or sideburns, and gradually work into it. I get a nice smooth shave now.

gone down south

Going ATG is a definite no-no...... if you haven't performed a good prep, and don't have excellent razor control skills.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

My last pass is always an ATG except when I am using a new type of blade that isn't doing much good on the WTG and XTG passes.

Without an ATG pass there is simply too much stubble left and in order to get a DFS I just have to. No problems as long as I am using a proper blade and the most rewarding pass of them all!
    I must to the barber's, monsieur, for methinks I am marvellous hairy about the face

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dpmtherrien View Post
    I'll go ATG for my 3rd pass. When I do though I make sure I use NO PRESSURE what-so-ever. I'll even blade buff ATG. It took my quite awhile before I was able to do so with comfort however. Just start slow. like on your cheeks or sideburns, and gradually work into it. I get a nice smooth shave now.
    +1 My method as well.
    [SIZE=2][B][COLOR=#0000ff]Bill[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

I always do ATG, two passes of it on my throat. But I've never had an ingrown, even using a Mach 3, so I'm lucky.

- Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast