What's new

Straights versus dispossable straights

Hello:

Reading the thread about comparing Straights to DEs got me thinking - a lot of barbers now use those disposable straight razors - the ones with a hollow where you put half a DE blade in for the shave.

You've got the length and grip of a straight, but the blade of a DE - which does it shave more like? Best of both worlds? Worst?

I know I'm in the minority but I like both (str8 and shavette.) The older I get the less I like to strop and find myself using the shavette more often but on a sensory level and quality of the shave, the str8 is the way to go.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I think the barbers are moving to a disposable blade for sanitary reasons. I tried both and yes, a shavette will get you there. You can get a decent shave out of it. However, the real deal, the straight, is a one of a kind. The noise, the weight and the feeling made me abandon my shavette.

As for stropping, I try to pre-strop my straights once a week so I'm ready to use them. I know that a freshly stropped blade is better but so far, I didn't feel much of a difference.

Bottom line, yes you can try the shavette before the straight, it will give you an idea, but... For a few dollars more, you can pick-up a vintage straight on BST and a strop.

My vote goes for the straight!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
mmm, nah, I wouldn't put a DE below a shavette. But, that's me.

At the moment, I get my best shaves from a DE, not a straight. Evenutally, with time, I think I will be able to get equal or better shaves than a DE. It's a matter of preference and then experience.

Personally, I would prefer to pick up one of my real straights versus my Dovo Shavette. However, I do so for the experience, versus performance.

My Shavette always has a Personna barber style blade with green insert loaded. It is wicked sharp, all the time, and I can pull of a ton more shaves than a standard DE blade. The process is just fast and efficient; No stropping, heck no stretching in my case.

That being said, I still pick up the real deal over it. I honestly just enjoy the whole experience more. The history, aesthetics and process itself totally have me sold. I'm still new, but as my technique improves the preference for the real deal also increases... SRAD is kicking in hard, unfortunately this also costs more than DE RAD :biggrin:.

I started with a DE, went to a shavette, now shave with a st8. I gave the shavette away. I really like using the str8 but after about 10 months in I have only achieved a BBS with the DE, not the straight. I use the str8 5-6x a week.
I think that the reason the DE shave is better at this point is because I have not perfected my honing to the degree necessary. I refuse to send my str8s out and will keep tryin. That's half the fun.:wink:

I think it's important to note that Dovo, and only Dovo, actually makes a "shavette" and that the name shavette has become to disposable blade "straight razors" what "Band-Aid " is to plastic bandages.

I'm a barber that finishes hair cuts by shaving the nape, around the ears and whatever else needs it. I use a magic razor - snap blade razor - whatever you want to call it for this kind of work. They're the units made out of pressed and bent metal and plastic scales and they're sold under at least a hundred brand names. Put half a DE blade on the pins and slide it up. It's... adequate and it meets both the moral imperative and the health board regulation that the blade be changed for every client. These units are quite light, have a tendency to "chatter" and go out of alignment easily. On the other hand, they don't cost much, they'll take Barbicide well, you've got blade selection as deep as whatever pile of DE's you've stashed under the sink and I can live with the 15 cent cost per cut. I've done shave services and shaved myself with them and I can't honestly say it was a pleasure. I wouldn't want put one on my own face again.

Dovo shavettes are a kind of in between thing for me. Having different blade options depending on different inserts is nice but again, I wouldn't choose to shave with it if I had other options. And while it's nicer than a magic razor for finishing work, the $40.00 CDN plus shipping and the possible addition of duty to the price tag makes it a little too expensive to have enough of them to make them worth using for neck shaves. Like a previous poster, I always seem to have one of these laying around but I tend to reach for it more for really fine detail and touch-up work.

My choice for shaving both clients and myself comes from the Feather AC line. I have and use both the folding and Japanese style RG's with either Pro or Super Pro blades depending on the beard I'm going to be shaving. I honestly believe that this is the best disposable blade "straight razor" system on the market today. It's well engineered, well built, well finished and the only thing you need to do to get a very sharp new blade is flick your thumb. The downside is that the upfront money is about what you could pay for a nice starter straight and strop, it can feel a little heavy at times and you're pretty much locked in to the Feather blades.

When it's said and done, though, I still get my absolute best shaves from a Feather DE blade in a safety razor. I've been using an X1 Milord lately and it's a thing of rare and exquisite beauty. :wink2:

Regards,

Les

Last edited:
Straights are the best, hands down. The quality, the focus, the stropping, and something you are truly maintaining is wonderful. Also a straight is the ultimate adjustable razor. That being said a shavette style isn't a bad thing either to me. First, it isn't a straight nor will it ever be. Is somewhat similar in the fact you have an exposed blade to shave with and you are in control. I have one that I will replace DE Safety Razors with. This is a thread I started about the magic razor.

Top Bottom